Must temp problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
A muscadine-making friend added his yeast when his must was about 100 degrees and is not getting any action. (Surprise!) Should he add more becuase he's cooked it?

Also...when he added his crushed camdens, it changed the color of the must from a pale rose to a golden color. Is that temp related too or a reaction to something in the muscadines?

(You know... I really shouldn't be waking up at 4 am worrying about someone else's wine! Oy!)

Joan:

My guess.......... Your friends yeast is cooked! 80 Degrees is generally the highest temp that you would want to expose your yeast to.

Color change is normal when you add the campden tablet to the muscadine. The color will come back from the skins, better, redder and brighter.

Edit: Your friend just needs to add another packet of yeast to the must once it reaches room emps.Edited by: jobe05

Thanks, Jobe, I'll let him know.

I also told him he'd get color brack from the skins. He didn't use skins! Oy!

Sometimes it's nice to have your advice corroborated!
smiley2.gif
Thank you!

campden, or k-meta can and frequently does remove color from fruit based wines. Strawberry wine, which should be a light to dark rose color will actually turn light orange to straw golden color from a campden addition at the beginning to sterilize the must. It can even affect blackberry wine, however, the color is too dark most times to notice. Flavor is unaffected.

Latest posts

Back