RJ Spagnols Must RJS Orange-Chocolate Port Be Filtered?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoSnob

Reaction score
My RJS orange chocolate port has fermented, been cold stabilized and clarified and de-gassed, topped up with brandy, and has aged in glass about a month. Has been almost 3 months since yeast was pitched. At last racking the SG was 1.030 and it's very sweet as expected. This is my first RJS kit. I am a stickler for following kit wine directions (other than carboy aging much longer than specified). However, jthe RJS Directions say:
"NOTE: The wine contains residual sugar so it is mandatory that you filter your wine prior to bottling. This will significantly reduce the probability of renewed fermentation in the bottle."

First, I don't have a filtration system, my LHBS store does not provide that service, and I am reluctant to get into filtration just for this port. Second I don't quite understand how filtering is going to reduce the chance of fermentation re-starting in the bottle should I bottle without filtering. Of course, sufficient aging will eventually clear up a wine and usually obviate the need to filter, but I definitely don't want my bottles to blow up.

My question is: In your experience can I forego the filtration by giving this extra time aging in glass? Should I add extra sorbate? And is fermentation re-starting a likely or remote occurrence? Any sharing of your experience would be appreciated.

NS

Hmmmm....

Filtering would only help if you were sterile filtering and that costs quite a bit for a home winemaker. You'd didn't say what your final ABV was but I could look it up from your SG but I am too lazy ATM. If your above 18% ABV its very doubtful any yeast could startup with that high ABV. Also if you added sorbate that will help as well. You don't need to filter but just make sure you have no sediment in the carboy when you bottle. If you do and you stir it up (and you will) your wine will be full of sediment.

Mike is right on.18% abv and you'll be safe of not having a refermentation. Do no add more sobate. It will not do any good and you'll begin to taste it. If you have sediment don't be afraid to rack a few times but be prepared to take care of any head space.

They say to do filtering to help in removing some yeast cells due to the very high residual sugar in these style kits but its not needed as they do come with 2 packs of sorbate plus the high abv stated above. Ive made a few of these kits and many like them before I bought my filter set up and havent had one of these referment yet.

To be sure I have at least 18%abv I need to be able to calculate it!

I know how to calculate regular wine SG readings into ABV, but how do I do it for a port/fortified wine? I can't seem to find posts here that tell how to do this. Here are my readings:

SG of juice (after bentonite & before yeast): 1.112 c75F
SG of must after initial ferm 0.998 c75F
Added sorbate, sweet pack, kielesol & chitosan & much de-gassing
Topped up with 250 ml brandy & refrigerated 45-52F x 30 days
SG upon removal from cold stabilization: 1.030 52F
Back to room temp
Added more sorbate, then k-meta, racked into new carboy & topped up with water.
Aged about 40 days at 74F so far & expect to rack again for more aging

I will take a current SG to see if it has changed/stabilized but the calculations for abv baffle me.
confused.gif

NS

Well, I'm still wrestling with this and this is to show that I don't want you guys to do all my work for me (great guys that you all are).

Here's the approach I think is workable:

Convert all volume measurements into one unit - I prefer ounces
Calculate the amount of alcohol in the must before adding brandy (% alcohol -from SG calculations x ounces of must)
Calculate the amount of alcohol in the added brandy (% alcohol X ounces added)
Add the two amounts to get the total amount of alcohol in carboy after topped up
Divide the amount of alcohol by the total ounces in carboy
Then... Bob's Your Uncle ... there's your ABV

Whaddya think?
NS

There is only one way to manually calculate the alcohol percentage and that is using a Pearson's square. If you know your final sg you could work it back using the Pearson square. Google it it just a way of calculating. Other than that you will have to get it lab tested for alcohol percentage quite expensive. I would not panic though with cold stabilizing and then bringing your port back up to room temperture if nothing has happened by now I will go out on a limb and say nothing will.

Latest posts

Back