Mushrooms

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too funny CEEATON!

I think that I may try to do a little hunting for some morels. I see that they like certain types of woods. I can at least check out my "back 40" and also my father's place. I have eaten morels (store bought) a couple of times and simply love them!

These are the only ones I would hunt or eat. Morels, or sponge mushrooms. There is no mistaking them for something poisonous and they are delicious fried up in butter alone or with a light breading. Perfect with a nice steak and a glass of red.

Agreed! They are one of Clyde Christensen's (and David Arora's updated) "fool-proof four." I like 'em!

I just learned about the "fool-proof" four...

Apparently, it is not so fool-proof. There is a "false-morel" that may or may not make you sick.

Apparently, it is not so fool-proof. There is a "false-morel" that may or may not make you sick.

JohnT, I have been hunting morels for over 50 years. I have eaten thousands and thousands of these mushrooms, since I was a little kid. I have NEVER become ill. My sister is the hunter champ. She collects around a thousand per season. She has never been ill, nor any of her family. So I don't know your source, but whatever. I'll keep on doing it, if I can ever find some down here in the South.

JohnT, I have been hunting morels for over 50 years. I have eaten thousands and thousands of these mushrooms, since I was a little kid. I have NEVER become ill. My sister is the hunter champ. She collects around a thousand per season. She has never been ill, nor any of her family. So I don't know your source, but whatever. I'll keep on doing it, if I can ever find some down here in the South.

Thanks! this is what I need.. reassurance!

Any tips on the best areas to hunt? Any tell-tale signs saying "morels may be here" that you can recommend??

Puts me in mind of this quote:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

--Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled

Thanks! this is what I need.. reassurance!

Any tips on the best areas to hunt? Any tell-tale signs saying "morels may be here" that you can recommend??

In the Midwest, we found them in oak and elm forests and also along fallen limbs and trunks that had begun to decay. They sometimes push up under leaves, so you have to look closely since the leaf will be partly covering the mushroom.

Here is how it works. You will look and look and look and not see a thing. Then you will find one, and suddenly you will see them all around you. I remember being 8 or 9 and hunting with Dad. I was getting whiny about all the walking I was doing and not finding any. Dad had found a few.

So I'm standing there whining, and Dad is getting tired of me whining. He says, "You gotta LOOK! You're standing right on one!"

Looked down at my foot, and right alongside it was a morel. Bent down to pick it, and by the time I stood up I had seen 8 or 10 more, all around me. We picked that site good, that day.

That's just kinda how it works.

My sister had a place right outside her door, practically, where they came up reliably every year by the grocery sack full.

They come in a couple sizes, smaller gray ones and larger yellow ones. I have seen some HUGE mushrooms.

So happy hunting next spring! You already know how delicious they are.

When my father was alive he had several secret places to get morels. Now those places are subdivisions. My brother was so good at finding morels that we swore he could smell them. When we bought 15 acres in the country I had high hopes for finding them. Lots of places that looked perfect for them. After searching for several years and having my brother tell me I just wasn't seeing them I invited him to a mushroom hunt. He didn't find one mushroom. After that I decided I didn't have any morels on my property. I haven't been hunting since then. But every spring I am green with envy when I hear of someone who has picked a grocery sack full. :rn:rn

When my father was alive he had several secret places to get morels. Now those places are subdivisions. My brother was so good at finding morels that we swore he could smell them. When we bought 15 acres in the country I had high hopes for finding them. Lots of places that looked perfect for them. After searching for several years and having my brother tell me I just wasn't seeing them I invited him to a mushroom hunt. He didn't find one mushroom. After that I decided I didn't have any morels on my property. I haven't been hunting since then. But every spring I am green with envy when I hear of someone who has picked a grocery sack full. :rn:rn

I miss them so much, I have been tempted to seed some...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=morel+spores

You can eat any mushroom you find but if you are not sure, just eat a little of it at first. That way, you will only go a little crazy. How bad could it be?

Latest posts

Back