Mushrooms

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any luck with your patch, JohnT? Mine did not fruit.

I tromped all over and did not see one morel. Saw lots of other mushrooms, but no morels. It was just not consistently moist enough this year, I guess.

I know these pics are dark but how do I know if these mushrooms are eatable? I'll take some more tomorrow when I don't run out of day light!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I know these pics are dark but how do I know if these mushrooms are eatable? I'll take some more tomorrow when I don't run out of day light!

To directly answer your question, you can know if they are edible if, and probably only if, a mushroom expert inspects them on site. This expert can be you yourself, if you educate yourself. You could look to see if you have a local mycological society.

There are some mushrooms that are both safe to eat and distinctive in appearance. One group is called "The Foolproof Four" (or the "Infallible Four"). One of those 4 is the morel that we have been talking about here a lot. Here is a guide to edible mushrooms that discusses those four plus many "non-foolproof" ones: http://killerwall.net/USA/survman/Manuals/Common-Edible-Mushrooms.pdf .

+1 on what Paul said...

Even the foolproof four ain't so foolproof.

If you do not really know what you are doing, you are taking your life into your hands. Even with today's medical advances, it is still very true that if you eat the wrong mushroom, you die.

I attended a meeting of our local mycological society and to be scared S&*tless of making a mistake. They even told the story of this mushroom expert with 20 year experience. He got careless and ended up eating a destroying angel mushroom. He was dead in a matter of hours.

Definitely bring some to an expert. Also bring along a photo of the habitat where the mushrooms were picked. There are some 80,000 varieties of mushrooms in the world. Take no chances!!!!

We talk about morels was have been speaking of were seeded, planted, and cultivated so that we can be absolutely sure of what we are eating.

Sorry to "soap box" about this. It is just that the mycological meeting really put a high level of respect into me.

Thanks Paul and JohnT for your input still forgot to get a pic of them in the daylight. Happy hunting to you who know how and what to look for! love me some morel! I am aware that these are not even close to morel. Even the morel has a nasty look alike though.

This guy ain't worried! This is what my hunts used to look like in Illinois.

You are just KILLING me JS!!!!! Holy crap on a cracker!
What I would give for just a couple!

So, how did you end up cooking them? Did you dry any?

I agree, lol, that the deadliest thing on that table is that "making-love-in-a-canoe" beer!

He oughta be with that Natural Light on the table. It won't kill him, but will probably keep him on the toilet for most of the next day. :)

Yeah, I knew that comment would come. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, so I don't see anything to worry about on that table at all. :h

You are just KILLING me JS!!!!! Holy crap on a cracker!
What I would give for just a couple!

So, how did you end up cooking them? Did you dry any?

I agree, lol, that the deadliest thing on that table is that "making-love-in-a-canoe" beer!

Split them in half.
Soak in brined water.
Rinse.
Dredge through egg.
Dredge through flour.
Fry until browned.

Also great on pizza and in spaghetti, lasagna, etc. It's a unique taste.

And I know what you mean about wanting some. Season is long over down here. It should still be in full swing up North, where there has also been a lot more rain than we got this year. Get out in those woods, JohnT!

Some of the mushrooms dissolved into the ground! I guess that answers my question lol The ones that are left are just ugly!

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back