Mushrooms

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should post that. I checked out my plantings. Nothing yet (which is ok since they said that the mushrooms should not appear until May).

One thing I did notice that made me very concerned is that some form of local wildlife has been digging around in my mushroom bed. I hope that the damage was not too bad.

Scrounging in your stash. Btw, deer love them. Used to find many many stumps that the deer ate the tops off.

Scrounging in your stash. Btw, deer love them. Used to find many many stumps that the deer ate the tops off.

I figured that it might either be deer or a groundhog.

Must have been deer. We have a huge population here. Too many Pita fans and not enough hunters.

This comes from Peterson Field Guide for Mushroooms,under morels-" all species are considered edible after cooking by some people,but bell morels(Verpa)do cause poisoning(see caution)*
also morels in the genus Morchella occasionally are responsible for some poisoning,particularly when eaten with alcoholic beverages.
*some Verpas are poisonous,particularly when eaten over over a period of several days...
Some people are more sensitive(not shure if right word)and cannot eat mushrooms others can.

This comes from Peterson Field Guide for Mushroooms,under morels-" all species are considered edible after cooking by some people,but bell morels(Verpa)do cause poisoning(see caution)*
also morels in the genus Morchella occasionally are responsible for some poisoning,particularly when eaten with alcoholic beverages.
*some Verpas are poisonous,particularly when eaten over over a period of several days...
Some people are more sensitive(not shure if right word)and cannot eat mushrooms others can.

Thanks, but I thing that I am safe since I am farming them using a mushroom starter that I planted back in November.

Thanks, but I thing that I am safe since I am farming them using a mushroom starter that I planted back in November.

I'm shure your safe-just thought I'd point out the alcohol angle to those who forage

Must have been deer. We have a huge population here. Too many Pita fans and not enough hunters.[/QUOTE]

Thin the herd and BBQ. Give you an excuse to open a jug of wine. (After Easter of course. Only a little over a week to go.) Wine and venison. Life is good. Arne.

Last fall, I attended "Fungus Fest" (is it any wonder why I am not popular with the ladies?). The had a great lecture on foraging. The speaker told this story of an expert with 20 years experience that picked a bunch of white mushrooms that he thought was safe. As it turns out, one of the mushrooms was an Angel Destroyer which was deadly and ended up killing him.

I was with my two brothers. We both looked at each other and realized that there was NO WAY we were going to forage for mushrooms.

We opted to get mushroom starters and farm them instead. Planted mine last November and have my fingers crossed that I will actually end up with something.

This has been an interesting thread. I agree foraging is a bit too scary, but one of these I would like to grow mushrooms. I used to work with a guy who collected office grounds from our office to grow mushrooms in buckets, I would probably do something like this.

Last fall, I attended "Fungus Fest" (is it any wonder why I am not popular with the ladies?). The had a great lecture on foraging. The speaker told this story of an expert with 20 years experience that picked a bunch of white mushrooms that he thought was safe. As it turns out, one of the mushrooms was an Angel Destroyer which was deadly and ended up killing him.

I was with my two brothers. We both looked at each other and realized that there was NO WAY we were going to forage for mushrooms.

We opted to get mushroom starters and farm them instead. Planted mine last November and have my fingers crossed that I will actually end up with something.

I ate some mushrooms in the early 80's and I think I saw things that wasn't really there. Hello, hello, hello is there anybody out there, just nod if you can hear me... And this was in Texas,... Willie you still out there? :h

I figured that it might either be deer or a groundhog.

Must have been deer. We have a huge population here. Too many Pita fans and not enough hunters.

Not tryin' to be a smart a** but I'm a Pita lover!! Goes good with a lot of things! It's those crazy PETA Nuts that leave a bad taste in your mouth :)

I ate some mushrooms in the early 80's and I think I saw things that wasn't really there. Hello, hello, hello is there anybody out there, just nod if you can hear me... And this was in Texas,... Willie you still out there? :h

Sorry Dave,,, Huge PF fan... ",,,is there anybody IN there? just nod,,," Comfortably Numb ,,, a good place to be ;)

Sorry Dave,,, Huge PF fan... ",,,is there anybody IN there? just nod,,," Comfortably Numb ,,, a good place to be ;)

Yes thanks G, sorry the "out there" was a personal joke going back 34 years ago. Had a great friend that would have understood the "out there" if He read it, and remembered it. He lived way "out there" in the middle of nowhere in Texas. Was just fishing :fsh in times past. While enjoying a bottle of wine. Thought it would be cool if he (Willie) replied. Stranger things have happened. We would jump the railroad tracks up from his place. When my old Nova hit the ground sparks would fly. lol

Yes thanks G, sorry the "out there" was a personal joke going back 34 years ago. Had a great friend that would have understood the "out there" if He read it, and remembered it. He lived way "out there" in the middle of nowhere in Texas. Was just fishing :fsh in times past. While enjoying a bottle of wine. Thought it would be cool if he (Willie) replied. Stranger things have happened. We would jump the railroad tracks up from his place. When my old Nova hit the ground sparks would fly. lol

I'm quite sure that there were MANY of us "out there" somewhere creating memorable times. Actually the phrase "is there anybody OUT there?" is a part of the infamous "Wall" production!!

Not tryin' to be a smart a** but I'm a Pita lover!! Goes good with a lot of things! It's those crazy PETA Nuts that leave a bad taste in your mouth :)

Freakin' spell checker. Every time I try to post something using my cell phone, I end up re-type things over and over again. Rather frustrating!

I am a big PF fan, but prefer the older stuff.. Animals, wish you were here, Have a Cigar..

Dark side of the moon and the wall have been sooo over played!!!

Best lyric: We're just two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl, year after year..

Last edited:
I've been wild harvesting morels for 50 years and never have had a problem, except with getting enough of them. They are the most easily recognizable mushroom out there. Internet "experts" will go on and on about "false morels" and how they'll kill you, blah, blah, blah. It is easy to ID a morel once you have seen one.

JohnT, you are much farther north than me. Our season starts end of March and runs maybe until the third or fourth week in April down here. I have seen no mushrooms from what I planted, nor have I found any so far this year in the wild.

Here's a spot like so many I have checked, that my instincts tell me should be covered up in mushrooms. Six inches of moist black oak leaf litter loam and a rotting downed tree. Nope!

I'll check back again at these places in anther week. We are due some rain mid-week here.

I am not sure about when the Morel season is up here, but I have been told that it is in May.

This morning, it was 24 degrees, so winter is not quite over.

The little wild violets are blooming in my yard. That has traditionally been when you can find them. Think we are going to need some moisture first, tho. Hope they pop up soon. Arne.

JohnT, morels won't grow until the soil temps reach 58 degrees F.

Here's the current sightings map. No sightings by me yet, unfortunately.

Yesterday, I got permission to hunt about 50 acres of a neighbor's woods, so I hope to do that this weekend. We got a ton of rain last night, and it is sunny now, so...

And I will take pix if I ever find some.

Latest posts

Back