Muscadine Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful!

smiley32.gif

Thanks Hippie and Martina. I am hoping it will only ge better as it ages.

A grape native to the Southeast. There are now several hybrid cultivars in black, bronze, pink, red. Vitis Rotundifolia. The bronze color is sometimes called Scuppernong.

www.isons.com

I did not oak it Martina. I wish I had but I could neverremember to order any more. I do however have a 5 liter oak barrel with a medium char that I am going to bulk age some of it in when it gets ready to bottle.

Waldo, better start getting that barrel ready now. Aren't you supposed to keep it full of something liquid always? I don't know much about them, but should you fill it with a K-Meta solution until time to put wine it it?

smiley25.gif
Edited by: Hippie

It is still a new barrel right now Hippie. Has not been used yet. The instructions call for soaking it, submerged for 2-3 days and then filling it with water until it quits leaking. It is then supposed to be ready for filling. I will use this process and once it quits leaking then I will fill it with the K-Meta until the wine is ready to add. I think at the rate it is clearing it should probably be ready about the end of October. There is a picture of the barrel in an earlier post I think was in the topic about my wine cellar

Edited by: Waldo

Do the instructions give you any idea how long you will have the wine in the barrel before you rack back to glass and add another wine to it? I am thinking no more than 2-3 months for a new barrel, especially a small one that gives more wood-wine ratio than a larger barrel. The next wine can stay in longer to get the same oaking, then the next longer, etc. I have no personal experience with barrels and only pass on what I have studied.

smiley33.gif

The instructions do not cover that Hippie. They only allude to the fact that the barrel needs to be kept full or it will dry out and start leaking. I thought I would age in the barrel for about 3-4 months and then bottle it and add one gallon of the Mead back to the barrel and see how it does in oak.Edited by: Waldo

Well, it has been almost a week now since I racked my Muscadine and there ishardly any more sediment at all. I think I may be within a couple of weeks of being ready to bottle it. I took it outside for a breath of fresh air and to reacquaint it with its more familiar surroundings. Hoping to encourage it to be a good wine.

2005-09-28_153907_muscadine_outside.JPG

There are two labels I have designed for my Muscadine Wine. I am going to use the one that garners the most popular votes here on the forum. Go to 'Polls" to see the labels and post your vour vote.

It is your wine. It seems really young to be ready to bottle. Just my opinion.

Thanks Angel

Grasshopper seeks the wisdom of the "Muscadine Master"

So it is better to bulk age it than to let it age in the bottle Hippie?

Peter, I just started a Muscadine/Concord Grape that I hope will be a good blend.

Hi Waldo,

Been kind of away from the forum but looking at the posts you have really come a long way in a short time....your wines look great. I can tell you are having fun.....you should be proud!!!!!
smiley32.gif

Ramona

Back