Muscadine wine- experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there Woodturner,
Yes muscadines can be very acidic. Next time you are by the winery's in Altus stop by the newer winery called Chateau D'Arc. they make a muscadine quite different from the other two. It is pretty good but a little pricey. Bethel winery around the corner from Post also makes muscadine and a nice collection of fruit wines also. I think they oak theirs. Bethel makes a Strawberry wine that is just like taking a bite out of a fresh strawberry. I like their Blueberry wine also. Post makes the best muscadine wine of all in my opinion and Weiderker a close second.

When I took the Post tour they are related by family to the Wiedeker folks from way back. I love that Muscadine Red - reminds of coughmedicine almost as a kid but of course it is better. I bought 2 cases while there and a few extra of the Vignoles which is very hard to find anywhere else. That one is excellent also.

Hi there Woodturner,
Have you ever tried Post's Blush Muscadine? If not not you have to try it.
It is very good and smooth. It screams Muscadine!

If I'm Not mistaken I have had Wiedeker Muscadine Red Before it tasted like rose petals, are we talking about the same thing? I thought he used rose petals to mask over the muscadine taste. Guerra here in Texas makes a muscadine but I think he uses Chocolate syrup when he ferments to darken the color and mask over the muscadine.
From what it sounds like I need to make a trip to South Arkansas.. whats the name of the wineries that make muscadine and where are they located... I really think I need to go visit a few.
Also too when we talk about muscadine wine are we comonly reffering to them being sweet? Almost every muscadine wine I have ever tried except for my own was Sweet.Edited by: Jzak

Why the heck would anyone want to make a Muscadine wine and mask the taste of Muscadine?

I agree Wade. It is a very unique wine and a Southern thing! Nothing like it. I have experimented with blending it with other fruits like Strawberry. But I used the Bronze variety to keep the color of the wine from being to dark. It came out a blush. I was trying to see if I could use it as a blending grape. Tasted pretty good.

Latest posts

Back