Muscadine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRM

Junior
Reaction score
Here is the short story.
Day1
Crushed about 40lbs of Muscadines that had been frozen. Only got about 2.5 gallons juice. Added sugar and water to get to 3.5 gal and SG of 1.84. Added 3 campden tablets, 1.5 teaspoon yeast energizer, 3 teaspoons yeast nutrient 18 drops peptic enzyme and some skins in a mesh bag. Temp 75 degrees.
Day 2
Added yeast EC1118. Did not stir.
Day 3
Activity in fermenter. Stirred 2 times
Day 4.
Looks like the surface of the must is covered with oatmeal!! Fizzing and working away. Stirred.
The Question?? What is the Oatmeal looking substance? Should I try and strain it off or just stir it in?
Thanks

Last edited:
Probably just a blend of CO2 and the pulp /fruit in the must. Push the "cap" down at least twice a day. Did you add any pectic enzyme to your brew? If not adding now won't work as the fermentation has already started. Enzymes won't work in a fermenting enviroment.

Hang in there and let your Lalvin do it's work.

Probably just a blend of CO2 and the pulp /fruit in the must. Push the "cap" down at least twice a day. Did you add any pectic enzyme to your brew? If not adding now won't work as the fermentation has already started. Enzymes won't work in a fermenting enviroment.

Hang in there and let your Lalvin do it's work.
Yes I added Pevtic enzyme on day1. I edited my post to include that.
Thanks

well not certain as I never put my must in a bag, I always leave it all loose but I'd say it's probly where pulp is coming thru the bag. Without pics it's hard to say but I'd say thats all it is I've seen some odd looking stuff come out of must before lol

I just did 80#'s of nobles for 10 gallons of wine. Punch the cap down two to three times a day to keep it wet. It can't hurt to punch more than that. Some days I punched up to six times. You can tell by looking at the cap. It will dry out quickly.

You'll be fine, 40 pounds of a high variety like Noble or Carlos will produce 5 gallons of wine.

To answer your question, I would think it is the cap. Just push it down into the must twice a day. When do you plan to remove the bag of skins? Muscadine can be very acidic.

To answer your question, I would think it is the cap. Just push it down into the must twice a day. When do you plan to remove the bag of skins? Muscadine can be very acidic.
I plan to measure the SG and remove skins today. Why today? Fermentation seems to be slowing down a little and I want to remove the skins and let it settle before I rack to a carboy to finish fermenting.

I grow Muscadines and Scuppernong grapes. I've made many gallons of wine with the fruit. The cap is always brown and thick in the primary. Also, plan on clearing agents. The pulp makes the fluid very cloudy.

From the Getgo.

I grow Muscadines and Scuppernong grapes. I've made many gallons of wine with the fruit. The cap is always brown and thick in the primary. Also, plan on clearing agents. The pulp makes the fluid very cloudy.

From the Getgo.

Getgo, I plan on using the 2 part liquid clearing agent that comes in some kits. Also, I would like to sweeten the wine just a little as I like dry wines but I think muscadine is better with just a small amount sweetness. Do you sweeten your wines? How?
Mike

MRM...Back sweetening is really a matter of personal taste. After it has finished fermenting and you rack it over to the secondary, your going to need to use the sorbate and k-meta. After you have done that, I would add a cup or two of sugar and taste it. Keep doing this until you have it where you want it. Once you do, take a reading and see where the SG stands. If you can remember how many cups of sugar you added to get it where you want it (normally my memory starts fading after several "tastes") then all you have to do next time is repeat the same number of cups. Unless you want to repeat the tasting part as you go along. I always find that fun :db

Actually putting the same amount of sugar in each batch is not going to give you the same sg in each batch. There is no guarantee that the wine will ferment dry to the same sg as the last one. Your best bet is to always take an sg reading and backsweeten to that sg.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Last evening I removed the skins and measured SG. IT is .996, I caped the lid tight on the primary and added airlock. This morning still bubbling away. I think I will rack to carboy this pm. I will wait till all bubbling has stopped before I add Kmeta and sorbate, When back sweeten should I heat the sugar in water before adding?

Thanks
Mike

Thanks for all the advice so far. Last evening I removed the skins and measured SG. IT is .996, I caped the lid tight on the primary and added airlock. This morning still bubbling away. I think I will rack to carboy this pm. I will wait till all bubbling has stopped before I add Kmeta and sorbate, When back sweeten should I heat the sugar in water before adding?

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

Take a reading on three different days, if the sg is the same, fermentation has completed. If it is at .996 now I would place in a carboy. When you go to backsweeten add k-meta and sorbate wait a few days most winemakers wait a week and I usually take some of the wine out and heat that up with the sugar. I know some will tell you that this might cause your wine to cloud but so far I haven't had that issue. I do not boil it just heat slightly and stir until disolved. The is just warm.

After Sorbate and Camp tab's, and another 30-60 days racking, we add about 1/2 cup sugar per gallon muscadine. Yes you need to heat up the sugar and water and let it completely cool to room temp before adding it into your wine.

Our muscadines are grown really sweet and hang on the vine longer. Over the years we have determined that it is very easy to over sweeten muscadine wine just prior to bottling. Regardless of the variety or tartness, 1/2 cup sugar does taste the best. That feedback is from friends and family.

We have never really been successful matching final SG readings to sugar taste level...we can't determine a constant SG reading that works with any 5 gal batch of muscadine or scoppernong.

From the Getgo

Hi Mike,

Take a reading on three different days, if the sg is the same, fermentation has completed. If it is at .996 now I would place in a carboy. When you go to backsweeten add k-meta and sorbate wait a few days most winemakers wait a week and I usually take some of the wine out and heat that up with the sugar. I know some will tell you that this might cause your wine to cloud but so far I haven't had that issue. I do not boil it just heat slightly and stir until disolved. The is just warm.
Thanks Julie,
One other question. If I wait a couple days to a week before I sweeten the wine when should I add the clearing agents. When I add the K-meta and sorbate or when I back sweeten?
Mike

Thanks Julie,
One other question. If I wait a couple days to a week before I sweeten the wine when should I add the clearing agents. When I add the K-meta and sorbate or when I back sweeten?
Mike

I would wait until after you added the sugar, just in case adding sugar does cloud up your wine.

Latest posts

Back