Muscadine Acidity Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vandiverr43

Randy
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I picked 35 lbs of Noble Muscadines from a U-Pick vineyard not too far from where I live. I had the owner crush them for me. I took them home immediatly and got some of the juice out to check the SG, TA and pH before putting it all in several gallon freezer bags to freeze. My question is about the Acidity and pH. For the TA, I used a titration kit and came up with .375%. For the pH, I used test strips and got a value of 3.5. I know my methods aren't exact, but they are the only methods I know. I've tried to read up on acidity as much as I can, but it seems that if I add tartaric acid to raise the TA to an acceptable range (0.60 - 0.70%) that I will over shoot the good pH range (3.3-3.5) by making it lower than 3.3. Is that OK? I understand that pH change is different for each juice depending on how its buffered. I just need a better understanding of the TA and pH relationship. Thanks for any help.

Back