multiple trips in the barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
One day, when my ship comes in, I hope to buy a 6 gallon barrel. I add supplemental oak to almost every kit I make. (only make reds and like them oakie) Right now I have 5 batches going and 3 on deck. Each month I will bottle a batch and start a new batch. Some of these I plan to age for 9 months or so before bottling, some only 3 months. Long term I expect t be starting a batch every 6 weeks or so.

Here is my dilemma
smiley5.gif
- I can foresee a situation where I would have a long term wine aging in the barrel for several months but at the same time wanting a short trip in the barrel for another batch. So is it okay to rack a wine out of the barrel after a month or so, into glass, give another batch a month and them re-rack the first batch back in for several more months?

I really want to barrel age and barrel oak but am paranoid about timing and scheduling.

I would time it so you only do one at a time until done, then put another in. I would not want to rack in and out a few times as it will expose it to a lot of air.

appleman said:
I would time it so you only do one at a time until done, then put another in. I would not want to rack in and out a few times as it will expose it to a lot of air.
Thanks, since I only do kits would you recommend a 20 or 23 ltr barrel? I can see benefits to both. With the 20 ltr I would not have to top up with other wines, just save the extra ltr or two in glass jug until I need it in the barrel. Could even just add it back (un oaked) at bottling time. If I get a 23ltr the benefit is more wine.

Second question. Assuming batches are kept in the barrel first batch 2 weeks, second batch 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 32, 64. And you only get about 6 batches or a little over two years from each barrel? Can you then use older barrels and add oak cubes or spirals?

ttortorice said:
appleman said:
Thanks, since I only do kits would you recommend a 20 or 23 ltr barrel? I can see benefits to both. With the 20 ltr I would not have to top up with other wines, just save the extra ltr or two in glass jug until I need it in the barrel. Could even just add it back (un oaked) at bottling time. If I get a 23ltr the benefit is more wine.

For doing kits, the smaller barrel would allow you to keep the kit more true tothe kit itself (no topping up with a similar wine)

Second question. Assuming batches are kept in the barrel first batch 2 weeks, second batch 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 32, 64. And you only get about 6 batches or a little over two years from each barrel? Can you then use older barrels and add oak cubes or spirals?

Absolutely can use the older barrels with cubes or spirals. That way you get the concentration of the kit and can still get oak. You might find that they are better for the kit than the new barrels since the wine can get the benefit from being in the barrel longer.

Latest posts

Back