Mulling Spices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatud4life

Future wine & SP maker
Reaction score
As anyone tried to use mulling spices to flavor their wine during production? Good idea or bad idea? What were the results?

I know that mulling spices are intended for flavoring wine after it has been made. Just wondered if they can be used during production.

They can definitely be used during fermentation or bulk aging. I used said spices making a spiced rhubarb wine (combo of dried ginger, cloves, etc). I put them in a bag once I transferred to airlock and removed when I was satisfied with the spice factor. The wine is getting ready to be bottled (9 months later) and the spice component is still intact.

The other thing you can do is make a mulled spice simple syrup and use that to backsweeten.

Thanks!! Would it make a big difference if I added the spice bag while I am inverting the sugar for SP?

Thanks!! Would it make a big difference if I added the spice bag while I am inverting the sugar for SP?

You could do it then. I have a ginger simple syrup that I love to add to my cherry wine---SO good.

Latest posts

Back