Motor for Crusher Destemmer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently purchased a manual crusher destemmer that had a motor added on. The person added a 1/3 HP 1725 rpm AC motor and it seems like it runs way too fast! It currently has a 3 inch drive pulley attached to a 14 inch load pulley that spins the destemmer. After some research I figured out the destemmer is running at 370 rpms. ( 3"/14" * 1725)= 369.64 RMP. Does anyone know what rpm a destemmer should run at? Should I add a larger load pulley or just purchase a new motor. If so any recommendations on a motor? Thanks!

The current setup you have will run fine. It is certainly faster than you could crank it, but mine is setup with a similar ratio and I have run it 4 years now with no problems- just keep your hands out of the hopper.

Thanks! I was just worried because I used a friends motorized destemmer and it didn't go nearly as fast. Just dont want to damage the gears by running at high speeds.

The larger pulleys are a little expensive, I was thinking on reducing the drive pulley to 1 or 2 inc. Not sure if that will make a difference.

Yea, you're right, bigger pulley would be a tad expensive. I doubt that the belt would tolerate a much smaller motor pulley either.

A variac would work, as long as you realize that torque drops with voltage drop. You might have to start the motor on full and then drop the voltage to adjust the speed. That may also be very expensive.

The best bang for your buck is a smaller motor pulley (2" or so) or an 1100rpm motor.

Going larger on the driven pulley, you'd need a 20" pulley to see the same drop in speed as above.

Tried to called Grainger for a 2" V Belt pulley but unfortunately with my motors 1" bore...3" is the smallest pulley I can attach.

Tried to called Grainger for a 2" V Belt pulley but unfortunately with my motors 1" bore...3" is the smallest pulley I can attach.

Check with McMaster Carr, they have a 2.35 dia for a 1" motor shaft.
Pt # 6204K12

How many pounds of grapes do you plan on running through it? I bet not a lot and the short amount of time needed to process them will not be enough to worry about. I probably run more through at one use then you will all season and see no gear wear.

Thanks novalou, Ill check that out.

Grapeman, you are probably right and I am over reacting. Maybe I'll wait until I get the grapes and see how it goes. Planning on doing 500 pounds of Chilean Merlot in the coming months.

After studying the pictures I see where I mounted the pullies is different than you did. My large pulley is on the destemmer roller shaft. I pulled the small sprocket out and pushed the large sprocket on the crusher in. With your setup you are stepping the speed up from your motor. I was also wrong about the larger pulley size and it is only 8 inches. Your paddle shaft and crusher shaft are getting the full stepped down motor speed, where on mine the destemmer gets the faster speed and the crusher is slowed down. I am putting in a couple pictures so you can see what I mean.

100_5424 (Medium).jpg

100_5425 (Medium).jpg

ahh I think I see it now...would it work if I move the 14" pulley off the larger sprocket and attach it to the smaller (if its possible?)

That's the way I run mine. I got a picture showing someone elses setup when I did mine. It has always run great like this. I don't see why you couldn't change them as long as you can move the sprockets in and out as needed to get clearance.

It appears as if your motor pulley is adjustable, open it up to slow it down.

Hi PJD...how would i go about doing that? Open up the actual motor? Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Wine Making mobile app

Just figured it...after i unscrewed the pulley i did see a significant decrease in speed. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Wine Making mobile app

Latest posts

Back