Quantcast

Grape Crusher - Motor shaft conversion

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I've got a couple grape crushers, just the manual hopper with a single spiked roller in the middle. I'd like to electrify one of them because I usually crush alone, and it would be a lot faster to have it running all the time.
I've got a 24V, 250W DC motor, and a speed controller.The motor is designed for scooters, so should have the torque needed. One of my crushers has a v-pulley on it. The motor has an 11-tooth sprocket on it. It's a D-shaft, 8mm. The crusher is a much larger shaft, maybe 5/8 or 3/4".

Any suggestions on how to get these two to link up? I'd prefer to convert the motor to a pulley, as don't want a chain/sprockets near my fingers. I'm just not sure where to find a pulley I can use on my motor, 8mm is not a standard size for pulleys.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A close friend of mine wanted a DIY project and he was able to source a like new treadmill motor from the local dump. He made a mount for the motor (with cotter key pin removal) and added a rheostat switch to control the speed. A serpentine belt and pulley as well. It has handled everything I could throw in the bin without any problems.

1596847789345.jpeg

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
I've got a couple grape crushers, just the manual hopper with a single spiked roller in the middle. I'd like to electrify one of them because I usually crush alone, and it would be a lot faster to have it running all the time.
I've got a 24V, 250W DC motor, and a speed controller.The motor is designed for scooters, so should have the torque needed. One of my crushers has a v-pulley on it. The motor has an 11-tooth sprocket on it. It's a D-shaft, 8mm. The crusher is a much larger shaft, maybe 5/8 or 3/4".

Any suggestions on how to get these two to link up? I'd prefer to convert the motor to a pulley, as don't want a chain/sprockets near my fingers. I'm just not sure where to find a pulley I can use on my motor, 8mm is not a standard size for pulleys.
8 mm is essentially 5/16" (i.e., within 0.040"). McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) has V-belt pulleys with 5/16" shafts.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Grange supply should also have pull's with right diameter

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
On my unit I used a bronze sleeve bearing to reduce the pulley shaft diameter to the proper size. Bronze is soft, so it's easy to drill the set screw hole and ream out a bit if needed to fit the motor shaft.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
I got some parts at 'princess auto', sort of a Canadian harbor freight. Found a sleeve that had 8mm inside diameter, 1/2" outside (probably 12mm, but it fit with some help). Not bad for $8.
I did a quick test, it works but a non-ripe apple from my tree stopped it. the power supply is only 2A at 24V, so I'll grab another one (motor and controller can both handle 10A). I'll build a little box for the electronics to live in.IMG_20200808_190453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Another option is to increase the size of the pulley on the crusher shaft to get higher torque and reduced speed. Mine has a 12"dia pulley.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
This worked fine for crushing my grapes, I don't think it would handle anything much denser than grapes though, I would definitely need a bigger power supply than the 3 amp power supply I have hooked up to it now. The controller and motor themselves are rated for 10 amps, so I think it's just the power supply being the issue.
I built a lottle box to house the electronics, will paint it to match.