more flavor needed?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
I started a Pomagrannate 1 gal 11-3 using 2 cans Pom Cherry & 2 cans Pom Blueberry. I don't know what yeast I used as computer problems wiped out that info. Anyhoo, started with a SG of 1085 ended 1010 when I stopped fermintation. I racked 11-19 to secondary and is due a second racking again.. The wine tastegood but would like more intense flavor for next batch. Any sugestions how to obtain this. Thanks Tomy

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Did you add sugar and acid to get to that SG as more concentrate and less water would probably do the trick. That does sound like you added enough already though, are you sure it just doesnt need some time for the flavor to come through?

Tomy:
One of the guys on this system advised me on this very subject.
What I did was hold back a small amout of the fruit and after the first rack, put the fruit into a pan, added sugar and rendered it down to the absolute Blackberry esscense.
After adding that to my must, the Blackberry taste and aroma jumped about 4 notches.
Hope that helps.

I did add one pound of sugar & acid blend.It is a semi sweet wine right now so I can't really add any thing that contains sugar. I will give it time, and start another batch and finish it dry, then add a can of concentrate which should add flavor and some sweetness. Thanks guys TomyEdited by: Tomy

Adding more juice will sweeten it and potentially start your fermentation again.
Watch out for that.
Adding any amount of additional fruit will boost the flavor though.

Tony on you next batch, see if your local grocery store carries Old Orchard 100% Pom juice.This is not frozen. Our local carries about 5 different blends of Pom, butonly the 100% pure contains no sulfites. If you can get2 jugs )1 gal) then add enough juice to tou jug to leave enough room for 1 can frozen Pom concentrate (thawed art room temp) no water added. Leave out the acid blend, but add Pectic Enzyme. I used Montrechet yeast for mine. This is all you need. Pom is acidic enough no need to add acid blend. This will ferment very fast and the flavor will be very nice.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Tony, before I forget, no need to add any sugar at start. This juice is plenty sweet. Adding more sugar will only give you a higher ABV which will take away some of the fruit fowardness. Then when ready to bottle back sweeten to your taste. Try this method and you will be very surpresed how good it taste.

The only mistake I made as I see it now was not to finish dry, then I could have added a can of juice at bottleing time to add more flavor. I had to add sugar to get the SG up to 1085 as it was. I like the Cherry &amp; Blueberry in the mix as it gives it some different flavoring instead of straight Pom. thanks Tomy
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back