Montmorency Cherry Concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

touchtoomuch

Reaction score
I have been looking at Montmorency Cherry concentrate and thinking about using this to make some cherry wine. It looks like a quart of this concentrate is supposed to be dilluted to make 2 gallons of juice. The distributor states on their page that 1/2 gallon concentrate is equal to 45 lbs of cherries. So, I am confused... Two quarts would make 4 gallons of juice, right... so if I were to make wine with this it would be at approx 10.5 lbs of cherries per gallon...???? Most recipes call for 4 lbs of fresh cherries. I am curious if anyone has made any cherry wine using this type of concentrate. I found the concentrate on mi-cherries.com .......Thanks, and any help is very much appreciated.

Randy
Illinois

Hi Randy. Welcome over to our little forum.

I haven't used that concentrate before, but have used Vintner's Harvest and Oregon Fruit Puree to make a very good cherry wine. Does the site list the brix of the concentrate? That might give a hint as to how much you would need. Cherry can be underwhelming on it's own if not enough cherries used, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being 10 pounds or so per gallon. I could envision using a can of the Vintner's Harvest and a can of that concentrate to make a very good batch.

I made a Cherry Wine last winter with various Cherry juices from the store. I believe that one was called Just Cherry one was Tart Cherry and I used some Old Orchard Cherry frozen juice concentrate which I believe has apple juice in it.One of the quartsof juice might have been your Montmorency Cherry juice...I also used64 oz of Juicey Juice[Cherry] instead of some of the water too....and some WinExpert Red Grape concnentrate....it is a beautiful red color.

The wine was awesome...the only problem was I only made 3 gallons...I have 6 bottles put away and can open them on their birthday which will be March 21st 2008....and maybe 2 on the rack.

I think you can use any store bought Cherry juices you come accoss...just be sure to use enough juice, either concentrate or bottled to get a really tasty must...lots of Cherry flavor is good.

Randy:

You're preaty much on your own here though the majoriy of us are going to wait and see how you do with it.
I too, use Vintners Harvest though I like the Fruit Bases that include the fruit. I generally use two, 96oz cans to make 6 gallons of wine and I have never used any puree or concentrate. I'd be concerned about what preservatives or additives might have been added that might screw up the fermentation.

I'm also not any help on quantities and conversions for the concentrates either. You might get a can of Vintners or Oragonpuree and see what they advise for quantities though.
I prefer to stay on the path of theknown minesrather than make a new path through the mine field.

Keep us posted.

That's a pretty standardconcentration then for juice concentrates. The Winexpert and other grape concentrates are also about 64 brix. It will give a good base to begin with and make a good wine.

Would you say then to do like the instructions say and dilute it 1 quart concentrate and add water to make 2 gallons. Then adjust the must for acidity, sugar to 1.090 and then pitch the yeast? What about tannin. Since it is a concentrate do most people add some tannin? I really appreciate all of these responses. I never got one response in winepress website.. Thanks a bunch..

Depends on how big a batch you are making. If you want 6 gallons, then three containers would do it- or just make it and keep in two gallon jugs. I would do just as you describe. The batch I made took quite a bit of acid to balance. I also added some tannins-don't have my notes right now so not sure , but it wasn't a lot. Fill us in on what you decide.

Right now I am enjoying some cherry/black currant wine. I made a batch of cherry and a batch of black currant. Both are good, but the combination is really outstanding.

Latest posts

Back