Monsoonal Disease Pressure on Marquette?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So this has been the wettest Summer on record here in NM. Lots of places have 2-3X average ANNUAL rainfall already and we still have 5 months left in the year. Have never sprayed for anything here as other than a few Grape Leaf Skeletonizers just no real need. This year might be different. Saw these spots about a week ago, looking closely they are only on about 2 vines out of 35 or so and only on Marquette, no Noiret or Corot Noir. Looks like perhaps downy mildew or powdery mildew perhaps but would like an expert opinion on what it is and if you think anything needs to be done. Also it is only on a few leaves on two vines, not like the entire vine by any means. We have had several small hail storms hit us in the last month. Luckily they have been staying small pea sized. Just a little bit of damage to some clusters and a few leaves. Things are looking overall very good and shaping up to be a fantastic harvest if the hail stays away.....

IMG_0495.jpg

Those leaves look more like insect damage than disease pressure. Inspect the leaves closely and look for scattering insects to get an idea of what it might be. It could be mites, but they generally feed in clusters not all over like that. Could be leafhoppers, etc. If your problems get no worse, consider yourself blessed. I have vines that have lots of holes in the leaves from Japanese beetles and they are the lightest they have been in many years. Let us know what you see for bugs.

As usual you da man! Leafhopper. Not many but saw one running when I inspected a leaf and then ran inside to look up the pics of one and the damage. Don't think there are any where near enough to mess with. I will keep an eye on things and count my lucky stars. We are supposed to dry out the next week or so. Hopefully that will help.

Latest posts

Back