Mold on fruit in primary! Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I am trying to make fig wine. The figs were fresh frozen, they are several months old. I thawed them, mashed them in the primary, added some sugar water. I put two campden tabs in, and sterilized everything.

I waited 12 hours, then put in pectic enzyme and waited 24 hours.

Now, its time to pitch yeast, but the floating fig pulp has white hairy mold growing on it...oh yeah...its floating because it already took to fermenting on its own.

What do I do?

Based on my knowledge of winemaking, which isnt much, my plan is to scrape off teh figs that are exposed to air right now. Then I was going to take the remainded of everything and strain it out. Then, I was going to pitch another campden or two in teh juice and pitch yeast. Then I was just going to cross my fingers and pray. Thoughts?

Last edited:
You need to keep dunking them several times a day as with any wine with fruit or skins in there. What you are most likely looking at is yeast growth as mold doesnt grow that fast unless its been like a week since you last dunked it under the wine.

Latest posts

Back