Quantcast

Mold in Airlock

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Dugger

Reaction score
Well, after 13 years of using plain water in my airlocks, it finally happened - I found some green mold growing in one of them. It was my RQ Barbaresco and I was afraid it might have been compromised but it smells just fine. It has been sitting for about 5 months. There are two other wines that have been sitting the same time but no mold there.
Anyway, I changed the airlock and sprayed some sulphite into all 3 as a precaution.
I know many of you use Kmeta or vodka but I think most still use water and I'm wondering how many others have experienced mold like this?
.. Doug

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
I still use water - although i think i am going to use vodka - but i generally change the water - wash out the airlock and sulphite it every racking. If bulk aging - i usually do the same if water needs to be added - instead of adding - i just clean, sulphite, add new water.

Torch404

Reaction score
I only used water till I found clear floating globs in one. Now I use k-meta solution. Your wine is most likely fine. Just keep up with sulfites every 3-4 months through bulk aging.

Latest posts