Mosti Mondiale MM All Juice Gewurtztraminer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
I started a MM All Juice Gewurtztraminer today. I had intended to wait until the weather had cooled here in Southern Arizona, but that's like waiting on Christmas. In fact, it probably would be Christmas...lol.

Since outside temps are still in the100s and I keep the inside temp right around 80 degrees, I've decided to keep the primary bucket partially immersed in a tub of cool water. Today, day-1, I left the water at room temp to give the yeast a good start, but tomorrow I plan to start floating frozen water bottles in the tub to keep the fermenting must cool. My target fermentation temp is 65 degrees.

One odd note, the MM directions call for the addition of yeast nutrient upon transfer to secondary, but the packet they refer to didn't come with the kit. Not a problem. I have yeast nutrient on hand. Just odd that they wouldn't include it.

Starting SG 1.088

Those directions are made up for most of the kits. Some really need it and some don't. It doesn't hurt to add it to be sure in the correct amounts. I insures a nice clean fermentation with less possibility for off smells or flavors. You should like the Gewurtz. Good luck with this one.

Here's a pic of the primary inside my cooling tub.

20080921_050235_gewurtz_1.jpg

And here's the must six hours after pitching the yeast.

20080921_050445_gewurtz_2.jpg

I've had mine bulk aging for a few months, brought it upstairs yesterday and added the fining agents and will probably bottle in a couple weeks. Tastes real nice so far, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Edited by: Mike1973

So there I was...checking the SG at 0415 this morning, and much to my surprise, it was already down to 1.042.
smiley3.gif
The directions told me to transfer to secondary at that point and add yeast nutrient. But I was a bit unprepared. Gina was asleep, and my supplies were in the bedroom closet. I also had to be at work by 0600, so there wasn't much time for winemaking.
smiley24.gif

I sanitizeda 6-galcarboy and started the transfer, but it soon became clear that I would completely fill it up with a bit left over. So I sanitized a 1/2 gal jug and filled it about 1/2 way, then finished filling the carboy. I thought I was being clever,
smiley16.gif
but wait. What about the yeast nutrient?

I tip toed into the bedroom and snuck my supplies out of the closet (That's where my airlocks were stored too) still thinking I was being clever.
smiley14.gif
But when I started adding yeast nutirent to the carboy, the wine reacted violently.
smiley5.gif
It began to foam up quite a bit. SoI let it die down and only added about 1-1/2 tsp of the 6 tsp dose.

At this point I was still okay.

Then I began to stir....... Yep, you guessed it. I got the dreaded volcano!!!It spilled all over the kitchen floor.
smiley7.gif

So after I cleaned up the mess and fitted the containers with airlocks, I had no time left for breakfast.
smiley19.gif

Here's a couple of pics after everything was set right.

20080923_120214_gewurtz_3.JPG

Probably didn't need the extra 1/2 gal jug at this point...

20080923_120803_gewurtz_4.JPG

Here it's back in the tub of cool water.

Which, by the way, isn't working out as well as I'd hoped. My jugs of ice melt too quickly, so the temperature of the water in the tub averages about 69 degrees. I was hoping to cool it to a steady 65 by rotating ice jugs from the freezer, but I don't have enough. Ah well. It is what it is.

Ken,

I may be off on this one, but on my Mosti kits where I have added yeast nutrient, I've dissolved the nutrient in 50mL of water and then added that to the primary, stirring it before racking. In the primary, there's normally a little bit of fizzy revival, but it's helped me to prevent the wine volcano (a greater amount of splashing during racking will still cause a foam up, but at least it can be controlled). Just like you, I've used 1/2 gallon or a bottle of wine to take up the slack.

What aromas were coming off of this wine as it was fermenting?

- Jim

Jim,

I'll check my directions when I get home tonight, but I'm sure you're right. That'll teach me to rush my wine work. I knew I should have mixed the nutrient in while it was still in the primary, but I didn't want to wake my sleeping wife (supplies were in the closet). As an alternative, I could have fastened the lid tightly onto the primary and installed an airlock until I had time to really prepare for the transfer. But I was in a hurry and didn't think things through. That'll teach me.
smiley5.gif

It smells great,fruity anda bit tropical, almost like pineapple.

Mmmm - tropical fruits. I may have to put that on the white schedule.
Thanks,

- Jim

Mike 1973,

Just read through your thread on the MM Gewurtz. I should have done that before I started mine. Might have saved me from the volcano this morning. But I see mine's progressing about like yours. That's encouraging. Thanks for paving the way. I'll definitely check back to see how yours turns out.

Ken

K&GB said:
Jim,

I'll check my directions when I get home tonight, but I'm sure you're right. That'll teach me to rush my wine work. I knew I should have mixed the nutrient in while it was still in the primary, but I didn't want to wake my sleeping wife (supplies were in the closet). As an alternative, I could have fastened the lid tightly onto the primary and installed an airlock until I had time to really prepare for the transfer. But I was in a hurry and didn't think things through. That'll teach me.
smiley5.gif

It smells great,fruity anda bit tropical, almost like pineapple.

Jim,

Yes, the directions did specifically say to mix the yeast nutrient in 2 oz of water and add before racking to secondary. Next time I decide to make wine in the morning, I'll review the directions first over a cup of coffee.
smiley2.gif

20081231_144327_IMG_0164_Small.JPG

Bottled this wine yesterday, but I was in such a hurry that I didn't snap any pics. So I grabbed a few bottles for a pic today. Nice and clear and I skipped the siligel/liquigel.

I have to say this wine turned out wonderful. No discernable sweetness, despite the conditioner. Complex and almost creamy at first, but has a nice clean, crisp finish with a bit of spiciness. I would definitely recommed this kit to anyone who likes white wine, especially wine that goes well with food.

K&GB did yours come with a conditioner?
I am making the MM Riserva Mondiale Gewerztraminer and it also said to add nutrient if with the kit (it wasn't) but has a bottle of conditionerand nothing in the instructions about adding it. Should I add it at the clearing stage or just before bottling? Seems like somewhere a thread said that made it cloudy when added later.

Scott,

Yes, mine came with a small bottle of conditioner, which I added at the clearing stage. Be sure to give us tasting notes on yours when it's ready.
smiley1.gif

Ken

Quote from Ken,
"I have to say this wine turned out wonderful. No discernable sweetness, despite the conditioner. Complex and almost creamy at first, but has a nice clean, crisp finish with a bit of spiciness. I would definitely recommed this kit to anyone who likes white wine, especially wine that goes well with food."

Ken I will give tasting notes but will be nothing compared to yours, more like " It good" or "Yummy"
smiley9.gif

Thanks for the help, should be ready to rack from secondary this weekend. It is looking very good already.

Latest posts

Back