Mosti Mondiale MM All Juice Amarone Fermentation Rate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Started this kit on Saturday PM. This is my first MM All Juice. The other 2 kits I have made were both Cellar Craft Showcase with grape pack. The CC kits looked like a shark attack in the water after two days. The must was bubbling like it was boiling and SG was down to .996 by day 7.

This kit is using the same exact yeast strain Lalvin 118 but it looks like a can of diet coke poured into a glass, not much real activity and only tiny tiny fizzy stuff coming off the top.

Can anyone who has made this kit or any other MM All Juice red comment on fermentation rate. Is it slower to start than others?

Temps are around 72 in the house and the must was at 76 when the yeast was pitched. I followed the directions to the letter.

Just find the differences in fermentation kind of strange. The kit is only 4 months from DOM so its not out of date by any means.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

I did this exact kit a couple of months ago, started fermentation around 70 degrees pitched the raisens after 24 hours but i do not use a top on my fermenter i use an old tank top with a piece of wire keeping it snug around the top for the first 3 or 4 days to give it as much oxygen as possible also the instruction say to stir the must for the first 3 to 5 days with a sanitized spoon did all that and the fermentation went fine but i did notice it picked up after i stirred the must. this is an excellent wine!!!!! mine is still bulk aging but snuck a taste here and there and it's awesome!!!! i have a CC red mountain cab on deck cannot wait to start it. good luck

The characteristics you describe really are not direct indicators of different fermentation rates. The description you give of the Mosti surface (fizzing like a coke in a glass) is typical of a kit fermentation. When you are doing a grape pack kit, there is less surface area of liquid exposed (whether you have the grape pack in a bag or not) because there are solids on the surface. The same amount of CO2 needs to escape, so if there is less surface area there will be more "bubbling per unit area" so to speak.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the response, I have the lid on but not snapped and the opening is open but have a paper towel on top to keep any critters from dropping in. There is lot of activity but its nowhere near as crazy it seems. Were only 48 hrs in so still pretty early in the process. I will probably check the SG tonight to see where we are at.

@ seagrape The CC Red Mountain Cab was my first kit and its now in Bulk at about 35 days. The last little taste I had on Friday was already tasting pretty yummy.....

Sounds like we are doing the same kits in reverse order!

I did this same kit earlier this year and sounds exactly like what you are experiencing. Nothing wild but slow and steady fizzing in the primary. Tempwas70 deg and at day 5 when I racked to carboy for secondary fermentation it was 1.0 SG. When you get it in glass with an airlock you will see it quite a bit better. Pretty good bubble action. Mine has been bulk aging now for 7 months and will bottle at 9. I have done other MM All Juice kits and they have all fermented about the same.

Excellent!

I just did a must stir, raisin crush with the spoon. Activity is about the same, very fizzy, fizzy bubbles are actually hitting the lid on the primary.

SG was 1.07 which is down from 1.096 (before raisins) and temp is a whopping 80.8 F so this baby may be quiet but its definitely cooking inside. The yeast is happy I think!
smiley32.gif

Latest posts

Back