Mosti Mondiale MM AJ Amarone ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
For those of you that have made this wine, Step 4 in the directions say "for a bright finish and degassing, filtration is highly recommended".
Since I do not have a filtration system, should I degass and rack again?
Or check for clarity, if it is clear, go ahead and bottle? And right before bottling is when I add the K-meta, correct?

If you can wait longer ( I know I struggle here too) more will drop out,then rack again,instead of having the sediment in your bottle.

JW, so just let it sit in the carboy a little longer then? I can do that....but I will have to be chained to a chair, the room will have to be locked and an alarm system if I turn the door knob.
smiley36.gif

I do know what you mean, I have been at this long enough now I actually hear voices saying LEAVE IT ALONE! ITS FINE WHERE ITS AT! ... even though Ive never heard him...I think its appleman
smiley36.gif

If you don't have a filter, just let it sit a bit and it will continue to clear. Given a bit of extra time unless there is some real problem, most wines will clear well on their own.

JW, yes it is me coming at you through telepathy "LEAVE IT ALONE! IT'S FINE WHERE ITS AT!"
smiley4.gif

If you plan on aging for a longer period, put it in when you add the last things and rack. Then if the aging was 2-3 more months, probably another 1/4 tsp would be a good idea before bottling.

Funny, the voices I hear always seem to be telling me the opposite... GO CHECK IT.GO TASTE IT. TIME TO BOTTLE...
smiley29.gif

UAVWMN, have you tasted the Amarone yet? How is it? Good luck with the willpower thing. After hearing everyone rave about amarone, I had to go out and get a bottle the other day. Still waiting to hear about your reisling. Gina's cleared beautifully, and we were going to rack it today. But when I hefted it up onto the kitchen counter, I stirred up some sediment
smiley19.gif
so we're letting it settle until tomorrow.

Well how much did you pay for the Amarone and what did you think of it?

Wade, the Amarone is the MM AJ kit. It is sitting waiting patiently for me to see if she is clear enought to bottle.
smiley36.gif

Wade,

I chose the $30 bottle instead of the $50 one. Wasn't my favorite. Lots of fruit and taste of over ripe plums. Maybe I should have gone for the more expensive one. Anyway, that's why I chose the Super Tuscan over the Amarone.

K&GB said:
Wade,

I chose the $30 bottle instead of the $50 one.  Wasn't my favorite.  Lots of fruit and taste of over ripe plums.  Maybe I should have gone for the more expensive one.  Anyway, that's why I chose the Super Tuscan over the Amarone. 

You just described the taste of true Amarone! You should have found it bitter, pruny, raisiny, and very full on the mouthfeel. It is usually an acquired taste. Kits however, don't really come close to true amarone. What most of us like about the Amarone kits is that they come closer to commercial reds. Amarone kits have more fruit, more tannin, and in general, more of everthing we like in commercial red wines. That's also why most Amarones also need at least 2 years of aging to be good too. And most commercial Amarones are not released until they are at least 5 years old.

Dean,

Exactly! It was all that, except full on the mouth feel. The first glass seemed okay, but later the prune taste and the bitterness became too much. Interesting note about the bitterness. I sense normal (good) bitterness on the back sides of my tongue. But some things taste "bitter" (for lack of a better description) seemingly on the sides of my palate (roof of the mouth). This bitterness is very different and objectional. That's what I found in the amarone, almost a chemical bitterness. I can't describe it any better than that. Anyway,it was my first experience with an amorone, but it won't be my last.

Ken

Amarone is a very special wine with low yield and significant investment of time to make according to the traditional style. It is unfortunate... but the reality is that you can rarely find a 'good' Amarone for less than $65 and if you want to truly experience the wonder of this wine you should plan on spending $100 per bottle. It is worth it but most of us can only do about one bottle per year if we are lucky! Spend some more money and you will be suprised at the difference.

I could give the same speach about Sauternes... Another of my favorites!

Latest posts

Back