MLF: My hopes are going down....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from the lalvinyeast.com website, found this about the Bacchus:

"These malolactic cultures are an ideal and economic tool to complete rapid MLF even when the wine pH is as low as 3.1, alcohol to 13.5% and the total SO2 is less than 20 ppm. For best results in volumes up to 23 L, add Bacchus immediately after the alcoholic fermentation is complete and the wine temperature is 18°-24°C (64°-75°F). "

You should be good at a pH of 3.1. Just understand that 3.1 is the limit, not the norm. Still, you should be good. By observing and MLF, it is just not as cut and dried as alcoholic fermentation. Just be patient and measure in 2 weeks.

Nope, nothing, no activity at all brother...

I just got my chromatography test kit in the mail from PI Wines (sponsor).

How is yours going?

I will attempt on a test this weekend, will check videos on FB on how to do, if any tricks you can pass on, let me know.

I just started the chromatography test.
Note that also just added some oak chips in the carboys (american medium toast) and used a straw only about 7 inches long to move the chips down a bit and stirred a bit on the top, on the Malbec there was lots of bubbles/foam forming, see picture.
The Cab didn't do this but I see tiny bubbles coming through the oak chips.

NOTE: I degassed these 2 batches really well in the pail before I racked into carboy using the all in one pump, there were no signs of CO2 left overs..!!

1. I assume adding oak at this stage is ok?
2. are the tubes/pipetes re-usable or just toss them?
3. Instructions not specific but I used a pipete for every acid and for every wine sample, right?

malbec juice co2.jpg

Last edited:
See attached pictures from preliminary results (removed paper from solution yesterday at 5pm and put in garage.

Checked this morning and looks like dry already but left alone to unfold at 24 hours mark.
The first pic shows a chilean Malbec kit to the far right that I didn't put through MLF but wanted to check it anyways. Also shows the chilean Malbec from juice buckets (2nd to the right).

The 2nd pic shows the Cabernet and Malbex.

Different shot, from left:
1. Cabernet (not much visible due to angle of paper)
2. Malbec
3. Malbec kit (not put through MLF)

mlf test3.jpg

LOL,

Lets try flattening it out so we can see the whole sheet in one shot! Roll it backwards and hold it with a rubber band if need be to get it to lay flat.

LOL,:b

I wanted to leave it folded in garage as I checked on my way out to the office this morning....I know...I know...

Will post a better picture later today...thanks for looking Mike.

There seems to be some post disappearing from a bunch a threads as of late. We have a note into the Admin to see whats going on.

You don't want to mess with a kit especially with MLF. Its been balanced to not need it so make sure you keep your SO2 levels up and you'll be good to go.

you're right, what happened to the latest pics I posted...???

Not sure. Perhaps a server crash and they had to do a restore from an previous image but there has been no mention of it to us Mods if it did happen. I am seeing quite a few of my post as well as others disappearing for about a week now.

I have the pics at home, will change them later today....sigh...

Also, I know we don't mess with kits, is just that I also saw high malo acid in that kit to the right and wondered if something could be done to alleviate it or minimize it without fooling around too much. Already has kmeta, sorbate and clearing agent.

Last edited:
That is exactly why you don't mess with MLF on kits. They have been tartrate stabilized and have higher than normal amounts of malic acid as evidenced by your rather large malic spot for the kit. If you were to do an MLF on one you would end up with a high pH wine which would taste flabby on the tongue and also be microbially unstable.

Latest posts

Back