MLF inhibition?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arieh

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I have managed to get primary fermentation going and am thinking ahead to MLF which I was planning to start towards the end.

pH was 4.2 (now corrected to 3.5) and I added 18g K meta to 82.5l of Merlot must.

Happily my free SO2 is ~52ppm but do I have too much total SO2 to stand any chance of MLF, even if it reduces during primary? Also how do I ascertain total SO2 at the end of primary (my Accuvin kit only tests free SO2 I think...?).

Many thanks in advance!

Most MLB can take up to 30ppm. If you are currently fermenting, you will fine that the all over SO2 will drop considerably. I would wait and test again later.

I use titrates (those little glass vials) but they are hard to use and I normally test twice to be sure I get it right.

I would also advise you to look at your ABV. Most MLBs cant survive past 14 or 15 percent.

Thanks JohnT.

I'm thinking ahead now...let's say the SO2 (free or total) is borderline, should I go ahead and try MLF (to prevent it happening spontaneously later on more than anything else)?

Back