Mixing Frozen Juice with Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
I expect to place my order for 6 gallons of frozen juice later today. I'm looking to purchase several lugs of grapes of the same variety to add to my fermenter. I understand the frozen grapes have already been yeasted. I plan to destem the grapes and give the a gently crush. I'll add kmeta to the grapes in a seperate container for a day, adjust pH and brix, then add to a larger fermenter with the juice. Any thoughts on tactic of mixing juice with grapes?

Oh, I figured that the juice would already be fired up with its own yeast by the time I added the crushed grapes. I wasn't planing to add more yeast.

I don't know if all frozen juice buckets come with yeast already pitched or not. Just make sure yours does. If not, add your own.
As far as adding extra yeast for the crushed grapes, you didn't say how much crushed grapes you are adding. It might take a day or two for your juice bucket yeast to multiply enough to handle the extra grape must, but it will if you are patient. Just try to add the grape must before the juice bucket yeast has done much fermenting already, else you might shock the yeast. Not much of a problem, though.

Also, make sure the juice and the grape must are about the same temp before you ad the grape must.

Robie, I plan to add two lugs of fresh grapes. I called the supplier who verified that the juice was yeasted. I will make sure to have yeast on hand. I'll make sure to have some yeast on hand in case the frozen juice has not fired up yet.

Robie, I plan to add two lugs of fresh grapes. I called the supplier who verified that the juice was yeasted. I will make sure to have yeast on hand. I'll make sure to have some yeast on hand in case the frozen juice has not fired up yet.

That's a good idea, just in case, but hopefully you won't need it for just two lugs.

You didn't mention what kind of grapes. I am assuming the juice bucket, like most kit wines is NOT supposed to go through MLF.
If so, I would also add some lysozyme to the grapes, so they won't try to go into mlf. The juice buckets will already have some lysozyme added, but it probably won't be enough for the additional 2 lugs of grapes. If you can't get any lysozyme, make sure you sulfite well immediately after fermentation is completed. You don't want an MLF to start.

If you think MLF might be a problem, I would ferment them separately, sulfite the finished grapes really well, then selectively blend with the results of the juice bucket.

Hum, I've never used frozen jucice before. Thanks for mentioning the MLF issue. I was not aware that MLF was not compatible with frozen juice.

I've not made up my mind yet, but perhaps Malbec. Here is a link to their selection and pricing.

http://www.carolinawinesupply.com/uploads/2012_Spring_Juice_Order_Guide.pdf

I looked at the site, but can't say. You should contact them about the juice and ask if it should avoid MLF or not. MLF may not be an issue for their buckets.

I know frozen grapes, like from Brehm Frozen Grapes, is just frozen grapes and can be processed like normal grapes. Some frozen juice buckets may have been pre-processed like a red wine kit; I just don't know about this one. All I know is kit wine is never supposed to have MLF.

Ok, I've gone ahead with my order. Thanks Robie for your thoughts and suggestions. I spoke with the fellow who sells the frozen juice. I didn't know of any reason not to put the juice through MLF. That asside, I've decided to just go with two kits and leave off the grapes.

The grape juice I purchased are Carmenere and Malbec.

I'm excited about finding this new source, and special thanks to bchilders for bringing them to my attention.

if its frozen fresh juice as opposed to juice made from concentrate like a kit which has been acid balanced , I would definately do mlf.

and there is not problem mixing fresh grapes with juice , or a kit for that matter , I've done it many times without issue.

when I used to make foch , I'd always add some zinfandel juice pails to the must . and I've used cabernet grapes in sangiovese juice to do a sort of super tuscan more than once.

Z

Back