Mixed berry port - what next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeymu1

Junior
Reaction score
1 gallon batch

2.2 lbs elderberries
2.2 lbs blackberries
1 lb sloes
1 lb blackcurrants
Ritchie's port yeast
nutrient & water

It's now in secondary and, after ten days, perhaps when my brain was disengaged I added 200 ml of brandy. It had already gone to 19.2% abv and I thought to euthanise the yeast.

I don't think this has worked - even though it's now at 20% abv - time will tell though. It could just be degassing.

I must say that I have done strong wines of this kind before except that (a beginner's mistake I understand) in the past I made them too sweet and adding brandy or mulling spices was something to make it drinkable. Very nice they were too!

I wondered whether to just go right ahead and fill the remaining space in the jar with sugar - got to add it at some stage anyway - or would this interfere with degassing, because of the wine being more viscous.

Oddly, it may help some with degassing, as granulated sugar would provide nucleation points for the CO2, just be careful you don't get a volcano! Adding it as a simple syrup wouldn't have that risk, although it could dilute your ABV, slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Just in case anyone's following this post.

The sugar was added and now gravity is around 1.007. Tastes sweet but in time I will review and see if more needs to be added.

I could not seem to find what a typical % abv of finished port was on the interweb. Anyone know?

ABV now 18.8%.

An update.

It ended up at 20% when I added a bit more brandy then it tasted too dry at gravity 1.012. I added a few teaspoons of golden syrup at a time. I'm going to let it sit for a few weeks in case I decide to add more. At the mo it tastes sweet at first but with a long fruity brandy dry finish!

What are typical abv finishing values? Can anyone share some info please?

Hi

Afraid I couldn't find an answer for you, and I both googled and checked thru this WMF site fairly thoroughly. I just didn't want you to feel ignored.

Pam in cinti

had a looksy on Wikipedia typical final abv is 19 to 23 % so, your 20 % abv is about right.

Just had a bit of a nosey at some of my old notes, I took some sg readings ages ago, of some commercial port type wines, while I was drinking them medium was 1.018, sweet was 1.032 (they where taken from commercial sherry which tends to be slightly weaker abv, but the sg readings might be a decent guide to sweetness)

If you where curious about ballpark final sg figures.

Last edited:
had a looksy on Wikipedia typical final abv is 19 to 23 % so, your 20 % abv is about right.

Just had a bit of a nosey at some of my old notes, I took some sg readings ages ago, of some commercial port type wines, while I was drinking them medium was 1.018, sweet was 1.032 (they where taken from commercial sherry which tends to be slightly weaker abv, but the sg readings might be a decent guide to sweetness)

If you where curious about ballpark final sg figures.

Thanks to everyone for posting replies.

It was (slightly embarrassed) the final specific gravity I wondered about and not the abv.

It is less sweet (and more dry) than I remember shop-bought ports to be though. Now at 1.014, I think I will up it a little to get the balance between the fruit, the brandy and the sweetness, going on flavour as a guide as to when to stop sweetening.

This raises another pertinent question though: I have used table sugar to back-sweeten so far and perhaps that was typical of a novice wine-maker like myself. However, given how strong the other flavours are - the elderberry, blackberry etc - will this matter and if so what sweetener ought I to be using? I do have some "Splenda".

Latest posts

Back