MityVac after Brake Job?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Methinks occasionally on this forum there are some strange posts. Then I get to thinking whomever has had his nose in the wine cellar. Think I have been guilty of it occasionally. Makes life interesting, tho. lol. Arne.

The MityVac was the best thing I got for equipment so far. I do still need a vacuum pump and floor corker.
You can read post on the best way to use your new MityVac. Basically, get it to hold at 20 for 20-30 minutes and you are good to go.

Looks like Wade has a great deal on a use vacuum pump setup. He's posted it in the classifieds.

Yup, I have a few models for sale and getting more as the week progresses. Its one of the banner links above!

One last thought. Are you going to handle the pump with your hands? Is there a chance that nasty stuff gets on you hands and then introduced to the wine? Are these the same hands you plan on using to replace the stopper in the jug when finished?

I would not even allow the thing into my winery!

Even if there is only a 1 in 10,000 chance that anything bad will result in using the pump, with my luck I would be number 10,000!

just wondering how many suit up and go thru the sterile wash before doing stuff with their wine?? Anyone?? God forbid can you just imagine how wine probly tasted years ago when they did the stomping by feet and all and put wine in skin bags instead of sterile bottles can we all say ewwwwwwwwww LOL I'm being sarcastic if none noticed. I think it is funny how we can be anal in some respects and not others we all have our own things we go nuts over. Me I'm really picky about certain things and not about others.

One last thought. Are you going to handle the pump with your hands? Is there a chance that nasty stuff gets on you hands and then introduced to the wine? Are these the same hands you plan on using to replace the stopper in the jug when finished?

I would not even allow the thing into my winery!

Even if there is only a 1 in 10,000 chance that anything bad will result in using the pump, with my luck I would be number 10,000!

LOL I thought this was an attempt to say "How silly to worry about things when your hands and bits under your nails are probably highly contagious"! but no, it really wasn't.

To para-phrase an old song "Well, clean it dear Liza, dear Liza, dear Liza, Well, clean it dear Liza, dear Liza, Clean it!"

be careful you can suck all the flavor out as well. Look and see what size bubbles you get

I'm not sure I agree with this, although my opinion isn't worth much since I am new. But this article in the winemaker magazine (written by Tim Vandergrift from Winexpert) basically says that you may lose a couple of alcohol molecules if you overdo it on the vacuuming but you are not going to change the wine in any noticeable way...other than removing the CO2.

I would tend to agree with you, all the vacuum would do would remove co2 & some alcohol molecules. Which in turn would not affect the flavor let alone suck it all out. The only thing it would possibly do is alter the taste. ie champagne that is bubbly vs champagne that is flat. no flavor difference but it will have a noticeable difference.

Now if you have a filter that ur running it through that would affect the flavor.

I will add to this that using a pump with no more then 25" of vacuum will not do any harm to your wine. if you are using a model designed for AC units then I beleiev those units can go much higher and you surely need a regulator on it to limit the amount of vacuum so as not to possibly ruin your wine and 2 so as not to implode your carboy and cause serious injury to you.

Permissible vacuum on carboys

I am considering purchase in the future of a vacuum pump. The Harbor Freight one looks okay. You mentioned use of a regulator to avoid problems with carboys. Could you elaborate on limits of pressure or vacuum in carboys? In my searches I have not found much in specifics.

Ive been a mechanic for more years than I wanted, but I do know brake fluid is nasty stuff that will eat paint. Good choice in getting a new MityVac. As far as clean hands, are we suppose to wear food grade gloves. After sterilizing equiptment repeatedly my hands are usually very clean and sterile. Maybe better than most doctors. Just my 2 cents.

Back