Mist blackberry merlot?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbop

Junior
Reaction score
I was wondering and im sure its possible but, if i were to make a merlot or other similar wine and add a blackberry fpac at the end would that yield a wine similar to arbor mists blackberry merlot. Believe me its for swmbo and the mother in law. And if this sounds about right how big of an fpac would flavor 3 gallons of this concoction? I know it is to taste but i would be looking for a ball park estimate. Or if anyone has done this before, i used the search feature and it seems like i have to wade through pages of stuff to find something even similar to what im looking for. Thanks bob

Blackberries are pretty strong. Think I would start out with about a pound per gallon. Then before you dump it all in, add some, let it sit for a while and add some more if it needs it. Good luck with it, Arne.

When I made the Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet, I add 1/2 of the f-pack up front, and 1/2 at the end. It is still too sweet for my taste.

I don't see why you can't use an f-pack from the kit with your Merlot. I have no idea how close it will get to the Arbor Mist. While Blackberry will be the dominant flavor, there may be other flavors that are different. You could take a glass of the Merlot, and slowly add some of the f-pack, and see if you like the flavor. That will give you an idea of how much of the f-pack to add to your entire batch.

For 3 gallons, I would add 1/8th of the IM f-pack (which is intended for 6 gallons), stir it in, wait a week, and sample. Slowly add more to your taste.

I dont plan on doing this from a kit nor have i ever made a kit but if one comes along at a good price i may pick one up. But thanks for the advice. I dont personally like but the wife and mother in law do in fact its the only "wine" they like

I dont plan on doing this from a kit nor have i ever made a kit but if one comes along at a good price i may pick one up. But thanks for the advice. I dont personally like but the wife and mother in law do in fact its the only "wine" they like

Must be a mom thing. Mine wouldn't drink any wine until about 7 years ago, now she will only drink Riesling or other sweet whites. Red disgusts her, but she ~OMG LOVES~ Arbor Mist Blackberry.

Island Mist "Black Raspberry Merlot" is pretty sweet. Not much kick but sweet like you may be looking for. The second time I made it I added a bottle of E J brandy to the batch just before bottling. Much Better! :h

One idea you can do is with the merlot, make sure it is stabilized with SO2 and sorbate and you can add cans of frozen juice concentrate.

I tried looking online, but I don't seem to find a blackberry juice frozen concentrate but there is a mixed berry that may fool her? =)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Old-Orchard-100-Juice-Berry-Blend-Frozen-Concentrate-12-fl-oz/22257678

The other option is to visit homewinery.com
They sell small pint sizes of their list of fruit concentrates that you can use to backflavor a wine

Back