WineXpert Mezza Luna - Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Junior
Reaction score
i picked up this kit based on the reviews on NB and a few other websites. I started it about a week ago and it seems to be fermenting well. Does anyone know exactly what blend of grapes this kit uses?

Not me. Go to the WineXpert site and look it up. Unless it is some proprietary blend, it will tell you.

If it is low tannin, I would guess the primary variety is Zin (Primitivo). Maybe a little Petite Syrah for dark color. Only guesses, of course, as I have never tried the wine.

I don't know myself but it makes a great wine. Be careful that all of your friends don't drink all up on you. :D That's what happened to me.

If it is low tannin, I would guess the primary variety is Zin (Primitivo). Maybe a little Petite Syrah for dark color. Only guesses, of course, as I have never tried the wine.

thanks alot for that info, somewhere along the line i thought it contained Zin, so that sounds great.

I don't know myself but it makes a great wine. Be careful that all of your friends don't drink all up on you. :D That's what happened to me.
ah thats great to hear, me and teh wife will make sure the friends get a taste but we'll age the rest for a few months

This was my first kit, and everyone liked it. I did add oak cubes during the secondary. I have a second batch sitting in a carboy right now with some oak slats in it, will probably bottle this weekend or next. For the price I think it is a very good wine.

This was my first kit, and everyone liked it. I did add oak cubes during the secondary. I have a second batch sitting in a carboy right now with some oak slats in it, will probably bottle this weekend or next. For the price I think it is a very good wine.

Ok so here is my next question, the kit directions say to wait one month after bottling before testing...i'm skeptical of this how long do most wait, i say try a bottle or 2 at 3 months then again at 6 months. any suggestions on aging?

So good to hear this is good wine. I just bought 2-for-1 at Northern Brewer and am awaiting delivery. They'll be my first kits, and it's good to know they'll add something flavorful to the cellar.

Last edited:
Like any red, they get better with time. It is very drinkable after 3 months, which is what I plan to do, while my more expensive kits continue to age.

Ok so here is my next question, the kit directions say to wait one month after bottling before testing...i'm skeptical of this how long do most wait, i say try a bottle or 2 at 3 months then again at 6 months. any suggestions on aging?

This was my first kit I ever made. It was pretty good. I waited 3 or 4 months before I tried it. Got better with age.

Enjoy~

Kat

2for 1 sale

I had to drive by Northern Brewers last weekend and what do i see but a 2 for 1 sale. I ended up buying six boxes of juice. went with the cheaper stuff and then had to have my sister go back and pick up the Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet and the Stag's leap Merlot. I can't believe i spent so much on juice.

I have made this kit several times and have to agree it is pretty darn good for a lower end kit. It may be the best wine I have ever had with a red sauce. My kids don't like red wines but, after tasting this one, said 'this doesn't suck, Dad'. As a result, any batch of this I make is called 'This Doesn't Suck Red'. May have to start another batch soon!

Latest posts

Back