WineXpert Mezza Luna Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
Opened the Mezza Luna Red at 4 months in the bottle and it was weak and watery. Opened a bottle last night (6 months in bottle) paired with lasagna dinner and it was a whole new ballgame! Lots of fruit and flavor now. I was so pleased at the taste and body of my first red wine kit!! NO KT. Looking forward to tasting all the other wines I have made so far.

waiting.......and waiting.......and waiting.......
smiley4.gif

I've found this is the case with pretty much every wine I've made. It either tastes watered down and weak or like rocket fuel at the time of bottling, but more often then not it turns out really good after some time has elapsed. Give that Mezza Luna another 6 months and I think you just might like it even more.

Whino, I was so pleasantly surprised. I am my own worse critic. haha
But, I will definitely wait these wines out because "time" is a wines best friend.
smiley32.gif

UAV,

Congratulations on your Mezza Luna Red!
smiley32.gif
We recently opened a botttle of our Romance Red (Sangiovese and Cab blend) and thought it was pretty good. It was dark and jammy with lots of fruit, but I think it still has a ways to go. It's only six months old and only been bottled for two.

Ken

I think I have one bottle of my Mezza Luna Red left. I had the same experience as you up to the part where yours gets better. Mine has always tasted like campfire ashes so I'm hoping that this one bottle will be great then I will be sorry the rest is gone.

Ramona

Ramona, how old is your Mezza LR? I am so glad mine aged well. Haven't had one that tasted like "campfire ashes". haha
I hope your last bottle tastes wonderful.
smiley2.gif

K & G, that was a MM AJ kit wasn't it? Isn't it wonderful these wines get better? I love this hobby!
smiley36.gif

rgecaprock said:
I think I have one bottle of my Mezza Luna Red left. I had the same experience as you up to the part where yours gets better. Mine has always tasted like campfire ashes so I'm hoping that this one bottle will be great then I will be sorry the rest is gone.

Ramona

R,
How did you get down to one bottle left? Do you have sailors around? They'll drink anything
smiley36.gif

I too was a bit disappointed after 6-8 months but I blended it with a blackberry that I felt was missing something and ended up with something much better than the sum of both. I still have some of the blended wine and it's still great. I just finished the last of the ML 18 months after bottling and it is better but still not as good as the blend.

I've had the Mezza Luna for over a year and kept trying it periodically but always the same super smoky taste, not fruity at all.

Call me a sailor.....I will ususally drink anything!!!! Ususally !!!

Ramona

umm, Sailor, eh? I guess I better get my sea legs in case one of my wines taste like "campfire ashes".
smiley36.gif

Scuba, I let my ML age longer than the minimum 3 months recommended. I tasted it at 4 months and was hugely disappointed. At 6 months I opened a bottle and it was wonderful!!! Very good!!! And I have shared with a couple of friends and they enjoyed it also.

Keep those bottles hidden, buddy!!!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back