WineXpert Mezza Luna Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I just whipped together a Mezza Luna Red VR Kit but my SG is way off. I am getting 1.078 vice 1.085-1.095. My temp is in the low 60's right now, not sure if that is throwing it off. I gave it another good stir and am going to let it come up to temp and check it again. I did not do any tweaking and it is right at 6 gallons.

Any ideas?

Steve - I bottled the same kit 3 weeks ago. Just checked my notes. OG was
1.082 at 76 degrees. I didn't add sugar, just went by instructions. It finished
at .992.

For being an inexpensive kit, I want to reassure you that I think you will like
it. Not high alcohol, but really pleasant character and very drinkable. I let
mine sit on oak chips for 6 weeks rather than bottle asap. Let us know how
it goes!

Bill

Will do, the temp is coming up very slow, hope to get the yeast pitched tonight. Does anyone add campden to kits and pitch the next day?

Unless it tells you to do so in the instructions, I wouldn't think it's necessary. The must is sterile when it is packaged, so it's probably okay. Adding more Campdens would probably make it harder for the yeast to do their thing.

But again, do as the instructions tell you to, and you'll be just fine.
smiley1.gif

Martina is correct and sulfite should never be added before fermentation to kits....only just before bottling if you plan to age longer than 6 months.

Unless it is a Crushendo kit which include extra K-meta since these kits are designed to age for at least a year.

I just rechecked the SG, it is not yet up to temp but, I guess after letting it rest for a couple hours after mixing it is now 1.092.
smiley4.gif

Lesson Learned: always let the mixture sit for a bit and recheck SG...

Thanks for the info everyone...

Oh my!

I just went on your website!

Beautiful!!!

Very nicely done! I like the tips and downloads you added. Is that your house? Very nice logo!

smiley32.gif

Thanks Martina,I actually posted it about 3 days ago and have been working hard to tweak it and get everything on it. I actually looked at yours a couple times before I finally decided to go ahead and do it.

It gives me something to play with while I am waiting for my wine to age.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back