WineXpert Mezza Luna Red - Started my kit (pics included)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wade, I think it depends on the kit. I wouldn't do a 10L Barolo or Amarone, but the 10 L RJS Merlot I did has shaped up into a pretty good dinner wine.

Ok so I racked this once just to help get the lees out.Well it looks like it needs to be racked again to get more of the lees out. When I racked it the first time (this is all after fermentation is over) I had to top up the carboy, I had to use about 1 1/2 bottles of Merlot. If I rack again I assume that it will take at least another bottle of Merlot to top up. Is this going to have a major effect on the wine? Ok I know this is a dumb question but can I improvise a filter, like use a coffee filter or nylons?

Scuba

Im not sure a nylon would get much out and think you would most likely spill more trying to use a coffee filter trying to stop pouring and start pouring while trying to hold everything just right. Do you plan on bulk aging this more as Id just let it sit for awhile longer if theres not to much lees, A little will not hurt and when you bottle just make sure to keep the racking cane away from the bottom till the very end and just get every bit in the last bottle. From there you can either use this bottle for future top-ups or just drink it yourself, it wont change the taste and just be careful when you pour it and you wont get any in your glass till the end.

I dont think 1-1 1/2 bottles will change it much but I think any more than that might even make it better if you use a decent commercial wine as these kits IMO are a little weak.

Scuba, Since you've already racked it at least once, let it sit longer than you think you need to before racking it again. The lees tend to compact themselves, and when you do rack, you won't lose quite as much wine. If you want to understand what I'm talking about, stir some corn starch into a bowl of cold water. Then let it sit. After about 15 minutes, carefully put your finger into the bowl and down to the bottom of the corn starch settled at the bottom. It will feel almost dry. That's what happens with the lees. If you use a decent bottle of wine for topping up you shouldn't have any adverse affects on your wine. What are you using to rack? A racking cane or an auto siphon?

PWP I use the auto siphon. Ill probley let it sit untill end of Jan then re-rack. The wine I first used to top up was called Barefoot Merlot.

Scuba

Scuba, Barefoot is a pretty good wine. (At least I like it.)You'll do more good than damage with that.
smiley32.gif
Be sure you have the little foot on the bottom of your auto siphon. It helps to keep the lees where they belong.

Scubaman2151 said:
Ok I know this is a dumb question but can I improvise a filter, like use a coffee filter or nylons?
I do have a set up for this. In the coffee section of the grocery there should be nylon and plastic filters. They are designed to sit right inside the filter basket so you don't need to use paper filters. We have one just for wine making. Get one of those and the paper filters that fit it. When you think you're going to need this at the end of the racking process, get everything sanitized, including the paper filter so it's ready when you need it. When you get to the gunky stuff, fold over your siphon hose, hold it over the filter and open it up. You have to watch it that you don't over flow the filter. We don't do this on every wine, just when we need it. If it's really messy stuff, skip the paper filter. You'll be amazed at how fast they stop letting things through. Be sure to get the wine that is in the pitcher into your carboy quickly to avoid oxidation.
20071226_201519_filter.jpg

PWP: Can I just use those disposable coffee filters or do I need to use that reusable one?

Scuba

Scub, I think disposable filters will clog pretty fast on you. I have tried using them for other things, like freshly mixed shellac and had clogging problems. Another possible option is to go to a paint store and get the filters that auto painters use to filter the paint before spraying a car. I think they are of higher quality than coffee filters, and may work better for you.

I used the VinBrite filter last weekend for the first time. It's a little intimidating at first glance, but it was easy to use and worked really well on my Amarone. No detectable (to me anyway) difference in color or taste in before and after tests.

Thanks for the input, when Im running around tomorrow ill stop at a store and look at a few different ones.

Scuba

Well I just filtered and racked this wine today. The filter worked great and I am very happy with the results. In the middle of my wine jobs today however the power went out so that was fun bottling in the dark. I couldnt put the caps on the bottles because I couldnt boil the water, so Ill do that later this week.

MezzaLunaBottling.jpg

Filtering^. I didnt have a open carboy so I had to improvise.

MezzaLunaBottling1.jpg

MezzaLunaBottling2.jpg

The filter^

MezzaLunaBottling3.jpg

MezzaLunaBottling4.jpg

Bottles before they were filled^

MezzaLunaBottling5.jpg

And after.

Now I just print out the labels, let it age for awhile and call this one basically done :).

Scuba

Looks mighty good scub.......Like your idea for capturing the filter in a non traditional method

Actually it smells really really good. I havent tasted a huge amount so far but I have a half filled bottled that I will try here shortly. But the amount I did tried tasted pretty good but time in the bottle will probley help this along.

Great job Scuba, this will be a great wine in time and is probably good now. Open a bottle occasionally, say after 3 months to see how it progresses. I have re drilled all my primary lids to except rubber bungs cause those rubber O-rings all leaked for me so the filter apparatus fit right in the hole so it worked out great. Might be worth it for you to do 1 lid like that so that you dont expose your wine to too much O2.

Latest posts

Back