WineXpert MEZZA LUNA RED HAS LOW S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I have Vintner's Harvest: Mezza Luna Red Kit that I am starting. I noticed that the beginning S.G. of the Batch was only 1.078
smiley19.gif
. I was wondering if it would hurt to add 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of Sugar to get the batch up to the Specified 1.085-1.095 range. I measured the water addition to the exact 6 gallons. SoI am not sure what is wrong. I just thought that adding the sugar would probably not hurt in that amount to bring up S.G. but, would like some input before proceeding on with the kit. Thanks, Lynn

Your low specific gravity reading could be fromimproper stirring of the must. Do you have a drill mounted stirrer or are you doing it by hand?

The concentrate is quite viscous and needs to be stirred well with the water. Stir it again and recheck.

It is also possible that your hydrometer is reading incorrectly. Check some water @ 60 degrees F to make sure you get a reading of 1.000.

I checked the Hydrometer and stirred the must. Its still reading the same. Any hints?

I would ferment as is. I think it is meant to be a fresh, early drinking type of wine. Follow the instructions.

Thanks Martina, I think I will!! I could not see any reason not to do it. The specific gravity was so low I thought I might end up with a wine cooler type drink. I think the reason I was afraid to was everyone harps on following the directions. I have made several batches of scratch wine, but have not finished a kit completely yet. I will follow the directions from pitching yeast to bottling. I appreciate you!!

Also, thanks for the input Hippie!! Your a Gentleman and a Scholar!!

You certainly can add more sugar but remember once you start tweaking kits you run the risk of voiding the manufacturer's warranty!

With that SG, you can expect an alcohol content of close to 11%. I cannot see anything wrong with that. This is not a wine you would expect to age long-term, and also a fairly inexpensive kit. For higher alcohol content kit wines, dig a little deeper. Increasing must SG, and ultimately alcohol percentage, can result in an off balanced wine, however, you should do as you wish.

smiley1.gif

I believe that WinExpert fills the boxes by weight rather than by volume. This method should result in a starting SG within range when reconstituted to 6 gallons. Since you thoroughly stirred when reconstituting to 6 gallons and you adjusted the hydrometer readings for calibration and temperature, there may have been a problem in the production run resulting in less concentrate/juice in the box than required. If you purchased this kit from George, you may want to provide him with the kit production number so he can check with his supplier to see if there are any reported production problems.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I agree with Hippie and Masta and would make the kit as is without adjustment. An alcohol content of 11% seems reasonable for an early drinking wine.

smiley36.gif
Warranty who talking warranty? I'd be ashamed to worry about the warranty on a wine kit. This isn't a car I've bought. If it doesn't turn out ok as far I am concerned all I am out is $60.00 and some time. She's toilet bound and I have learned a lesson. If you are making scratch wine how do you all increase Specific Gravity????? More sugar!!!! right???? If not someone please explain because I have been lead astray.

Description: Vintners Reserve’s ‘big red’ wine offering. Rich and flavourful, this purposeful blend marries intense aromas with complex flavours bursting of cherry and raspberry. Boasts dark red colours and a superb oak enhancement. Delightful complexity within a 28-day category wine, Mezza Luna is a powerful and lively red wine to serve with hearty meals. The kit states Starting S.G. of 1.085- 1.095 for the 6-gallons. I am going to keep at the full 6-gallons and will probably add enough sugar to get it up to the 1.085 -1.095. Don't want a light and refreshing red here, I want the bold and powerful! I am planning on following the Directions and will probably age a couple of months as the instructions say you can
smiley1.gif
Thanks Hippie, Martina, Masta, and JosephEdited by: TNFISHRMAN

Cool. It's your wine man!

Have you not pitched the yeast yet? If it has been fermenting for over a day, then you will essentially be sugar feeding the yeast, which is a different thang altogether than increasing SG of a must.

Anyway, I think what might have happened here to get the low SG reading is either too much water added or too warm water added. As the must cools, the SG will go up. The warmer a must is, the lower SG reading you will get. As the must cools down, the must gets more viscous.

Either one of those above, or as Joseph says, defective kit.

smiley33.gif
Edited by: Hippie

The warranty is a valuable part of buying your wine kits from a reputable retailer. It even has more value if you get into the high dollar kits such as the Estate and Crushendo line. Winexpert wants you to be satisfied with your purchase of their kits and will make it right if you are not.

George guarantees all of the products he sells not just kits!

At finevinewines.com, The Wine Maker's Toy Store, we want you to be completely satisfied with everything you purchase from us; therefore, we offer a 100% money back guarantee on everything we sell. Whether it's an airlock, a packet of yeast, a wine concentrate kit or a complete wine kit, it carries our lifetime guarantee (not 30 days like most stores). If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you can return it to us for a full refund of the product cost.

We also understand that sometimes you may order the wrong item. With us, it's no big deal as our 100% money back guarantee covers those items also.

In addition, unlike most companies that request you save the original cartons for returns, we do not require that. We also do not charge a restocking fee.

Our procedure for honoring our guarantee is as follows:

1. <LI>Call our toll free number (866-417-1114) to tell us what you would like to return.
    <LI>Depending upon the item, we will either ask you to ship the item to us or dispose of it.
    <LI>We will issue a refund or replacement within 48 hours. </LI>

It's just that simple. We want you to be satisfied! If you have any questions regarding this or any of our policies, please contact us.

Just my two cents but I would add the sugar too. Chaptilization is a recognized way to increase alcohol content.

Hippie, I had already add the sugar and yeast yesterday evening. It took a little over a pound to get the S.G. up to the specified range of 1.085-1.095. I want this to be somthing to pass around at christmas withthe higher alchohol that waswhy I purchased this kit.If it turns out well ok, if not I have a batch of Concord that is clearing and will start a batch of black berry after bottling the Green Apple Reisling. Oh as for too much water I have a Half gallon jug that I took a pyrex measuring cup and measured the water to a halfgallonso that I would know exactly where todraw a line on the bucket when I reached the 6 gallon mark.I really appreciate everyone sharing there knowledge on this topic as I have learned from it.

Masta, I think I may have come across wrong on the warranty bit after rereading the post. If I did, I certainly appologize for doing so!!!! I appreciate your vast knowlege and input. I was fogged over when I replied from working my 6th 12-hour night shift. So words donotcome out like they should sometimes. I meant that with this particular kit I am not worried about it. Now if its a 100$ + I would consider the warranty. To methis was not worth it to go through the hastle of sending it back and trying to get another one. I will use this as an experiment to see what happens and keep good recordsin case I have this happen again.

Thanks again to all of you for your input!Edited by: TNFISHRMAN

No problem...I might have come on too strong also.
smiley18.gif
.....my main point was that even with a small dollar purchase you should be satisfied and the good retailers and manufacturers also strive for this.

I am still curious as to why the SG was low with this kit...
smiley5.gif

I amcurious as to the low S.G., as well. Joseph is correct in that Winexpert fills the bag based on weight to exacting standards. If the sugar level is low, the bag will burst. At least, that is what Tim Vandergrift told me. With that being said, my guess is that you got a bad reading from your hydrometer for some reason. Adding the sugar is not a bad idea. Just be careful about adding too much. Please let us know how it turns out.

Will post an ending Reply as to how it turns out. Thanks again for every single persons input!!! Lynn

TNFISHRMAN, how did the Mezza Luna Red kit come out? Have you tasted it yet? I'm anxious to hear as I have one on order.

The Mezza Luna Red turned out great. I sweetened half of the batch and left half dry. My wife loves the sweetened and I like the dry. I think its heavier bodied than I had anticipated though. Overall though I like it.

Fishrman~

May I ask how did you sweetend 1/2 the batch and leave the other 1/2 dry. I am assuming at bottling. Forgive me I am a newbie, and know not of such things
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back