Metatartic acid if bulk aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I am making a RJ Spagnol En Primeur Cab. I plan to bulk age for 6 months and then cold stabilize for 2 weeks. My instructions say to add metatartic acid. The only note given is it prevents crystals from forming for at least 12 months. Since I am bulk aging and cold stabilizing, is there any reason to add this? What is the benefit of adding this if I was not doing above, as one would age for 1-2 years in bottle anyway? Are there any other benefits beside crystal stall? Thanks.

I wouldnt use it as I didnt cold stabilize and that added ingredient didnt hold them back for even as long as it said it would. DO cold stabilize this kit!

So metatartic acid has no additional function beside slowing down crystal formation? It strikes me odd that one would add something to delay the inevitable. I am lost on the logic unless it is for those that drink their wine within a year of creation. This is why I ask.

Thats all its there for and thats why it only comes with the EP series. You may get a little in the Winery Series but nothing like with the EP kits. In hindsight, I really dont know why I added it knowing I was planning on aging this wine for at east 1 year with most and many for the rest. I still have a few bottles of this that are like 5 years old now. I think I need to opo a cork once it cools down here a bit!!! I really dont drink red wine much in the summer, just dont have a yearning for it.

Thanks again Wade. I will skip adding it even if bottling without bulk aging.

Latest posts

Back