Mosti Mondiale Meglioli vrs Fresco which would be better?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kashew

Junior
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked but which would be better? the Meglioli or Mondiale fresco? Has anyone done both of the same type that can compare the two? the reason i ask is I want the best CAB Sav i can get and if the Meglioli is better ill wait and get something differnet in the Fresco or vice versa. No i dont want to get both in Cab sav i want as much veriety as i can get but want the best Cab i can get first and foremost.
Thanks in advance....

DidI stump everyone? I understand that this is an opinionated question as everyone has a differnent taste. It doesnt need to be just a CAB sav. If anyone has a differnent wine that they tried the fresh jucie and the meglioli which one did you like better and why? Thanks

I'll take a shot at this even tho I haven't made a Meglioli yet. (As soon as I win the lottery, I'll buy a couple!) My guess is that the Meglioli would be better. For one the kit has everything you need to add. The fresh juice only comes with the yeast already in it. I suppose by having to add your own everything else, there would be a greater opportunity for error.

How's that for an answer?
smiley4.gif

Joan that is a good answer.
Both of them have their own merits. The Meglioli kit would probably be slightly better than the Fresco, but the Juice would give you more flexibility in crafting your own personal version. If you can afford the Fresco.Meglioli, go for it. If you are a bit shy, get the

Kashew,

Be sure that you understand, with both those you will be waiting 9 months to a year before it is ready to drink. You can hurry a $50 kit because it isn't going to improve that much. When you are spending $120 to $160 a kit, (that's $4-$5 a bottle. Who can buy for that anymore?) you have to give it time. I'm not sure many palates can distinguish between the two. It is more likely that you'll have a preference based on taste rather than a distinction in quality.

I asked Nino, the MM president, the same question. He stated that nothing beats the Meglioli and after tasting my 18 month old Meg Barolo, I have to agree.

The fresh juice will beat the All Juice, but will take an extra 6 months to age. The real advantage of the fresh juice is that you can do with it what you please!

Well I understand that one is a kit, but even some people tweak the kits. That’s probably why they Win medals... and others do not. Or they just don’t enter. So then what makes the Meglioli better? Because it comes with every thing you need? Does that make it a better wine? What if you have the same ingredients wouldn’t the Fresco be the same being that you added the same ingredients. Just about 100 bucks cheaper? Why wouldn’t the fresco be better it is Fresh juice and has not been sterilized and put on permanent hold until the consumer ferments it? I am in no hurry to drink a good/great wine that only cost under $10 a bottle to make, but is worth $40+ when done in 12 to 18 months. I don’t want to be sitting/drinking 60 bottles of the same type of wine, but 30 of one type and 30 of another is just dandy. I am just thinking that I want the BEST and I want to only choose one. So I guess the bottom line is if you can only choose one which would it be? Doesn’t everyone want the best? Isn’t that’s why we choose Mosti?

Kashew,

It is the source of the grapes. The grapes used in the Meglioli's come from very special vineyards and MM has a lot of input into the vineyard management and harvest conditions. It is all about the grapes, just ask appleman.

and yes, that is why we make Mosti kits.

As an aside, if you need something to tide you over while the good wines age, try a Vinifera Noble. You will be surprised at this 10 liter kit. They are starting to fly out the windows.

Thanks Geocorn for your opinion as it does have the most substantial weight. But if you owned that company and wouldn’t you say that your most expensive product is the best? I think you are correct stating that with fresh juice is you can do with what you please. But if you added the same ingredients and under the same conditions would it be the same wine? Or are they using different grapes? Or is there something else that makes it better? I am not trying to start trouble I just purely want the Best I can get no matter what the cost or time involved is... I just thought that fresh would be better.

HAHAHA Geo we must be reading and posting at the same time as you are reading what my reply would be before i Write it.......DO you have ESP??? haha Just kidding... So it is the Grapes.. I am about to Start a Pinot Grio from Fresh local juice. Just debating on which Fresh Mosti to do and which Meg to do.
Edited by: Kashew

Kashew,

Outside of the deserved profits of a sale, Mosti has been darn reliable when it comes to recommendations and providing solid, honest information. They want you to be happy with your product, regardless of what it is. I started with a couple of Winexpert Selection International kits and a single Mosti AllJuice Pinot Noir. These kits were pretty comparably priced, and yet I'll take the quality and development of the Mosti pinot over the other two kits - it's just a better wine. Since then, almost every kit I have purchased has been Mosti, including four Meglioli kits. I will be purchasing a couple of the Fresco kits this year not necessarily for the purpose of tweaking, but to test the product against the others. In addition, if the quality of this juice is better than the AllJuice, it's quite attractively priced. At the same time, I won't be discounting future AllJuice Masters or Meglioli purchases - after all, there are some varietals that you just can't get in the latter form. I'm sure some people here have made the Meglioli Cab - maybe they can help shed some light as to the quality of that kit.

- Jim

Kashew, ask me in about 9 months about the Megioli Cab. I bottled this a couple of months ago. Like Jim Cook, I have leaned toward the MM kits. The MM AJ Amarone at 6 months is coming along nicely. Still green but the flavors and tanins are coming thru slowly.

Latest posts

Back