Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Rojo Intenso

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
My Meglioli Rojo Intenso has been in secondary for a month.I stir it every 3-4 days. For the past 3 weeks, the s.g. has been unchanged at .998. Temp remains around 76 degrees. I'm trying to decide if any yeast energizer would help it go down more or if it would adversely affect the flavor at this late stage. I don't know if just leaving it longer will help any or not since it doesn't seem to be changing at all. I have lots of carboys but only 1 six gallon which I use for secondary (my others are 5 gallon andsome 3 gallon). Since this is taking up my normal "secondary" carboy, I'm waiting till it's freed beforestarting my Meglioli Barolo. I plan to bulk age atleast 8 months so it would have plenty of time to finish ferm but it won't have all that yeast to help it out. I could transfer to two 3 gallons (yeast and all) and let it go longer. Any suggestions?
I normally rack from my 6-gallon down to 5-gallon to bulk age and bottle the extra but in this case I was going touse my 3-gallons to bulk age.

Its most likely done. Not all wines will go down much further then where you are at right now. If its been therfor that amount of time then ys ready to stabilize and clear.

I didn't taste any sweetness but it's so tart at this stage I'm not sure I would. I don't have the most discerning palate. This wine has a high starting gravity (it was 1.103 before adding the raisins) so it may very well be done. I'm just trying to make sure. Most of my reds end up around .992-.994 but they usually start around 1.095.

I don't think there is much you can do at this point, but move on. If there is an issue with this wine, Mosti will stand behind the product. Replacements for Meglioli's are available, so we would have to do something else.

On the other hand, I think you will be fine. I looked at my notes for the Rojo Grande and it only got to .996. It is a very full bodied wine and it could be other solids giving a false reading. The final test will be the taste. If it is sweet, it did not quite finish. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back