Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TankCa

Reaction score
I received my MM Meglioli Rojo Intenso yesterday and plan to start today. This is the first ofthree I plan to do (the Barolo should be here next week and Rojo Grande in March).

This is quite an investment and my first Mosti so I want to be sure I'm doing this right. The process seems quite different than other kits I've done. My questions are:

1. <LI>The main instructions say to add the raisins24 hours after pitching the yeastbut an insert in the box "Instructions for Raisins" says to add after addition of the yeast. Which is correct?</LI>
    <LI>The maininstructions say to rack when the SG is 1.040 - 1.050 and the "Instruction for Raisins" insert says remove the raisins when the SG is 1.020 and rack. Again, which is correct?</LI>
    <LI>Although I plan to bulk age for about 6 months or more, the instructions indicate you are ready to bottle after 22 days (if I'm reading it correctly).Is thatright? Seems very quick to gothroughfermentation, stabilization and clearing and ready for bottling or bulk ageing in 22 days.</LI>
    <LI>Filtration is highly recommended accordingto the instructions. I've never filtered my wine before, if I bulk age is it necessary to filterand I'm I taking my chances if I don't?</LI>
    <LI>The label on the box says the juice is from Italy but Mosti's website says the Rojo Intenso is from Chile. Any idea where the grapes came from? http://www.mostimondiale.com/english/products_meglioli.htm</LI>

Lots of questions but this is a big investment and I want to be certain I'm doing this right.

Tanks,

Steve

Mosti has greatly improved their instructions, but have still left room for questions, so lLet me see if I can straighten things out.

1. <LI>Adding the raisins. Mosti "suggests" you wait 24 hours to allow the fermentation to get started. We have always added them in the beginning with no problems and Mosti says to do that is fine.</LI>
    <LI>In addition, if you like, you can transfer the raisins with your first rack. The old instructions had you rack at 1.020. The raisin instructions should not have been put into your kit as the main instructions now cover that topic.</LI>
    <LI>I come up with a minimum of 26-30 days, but either way, it is surprising. I discussed this with Matteo at Mosti. He said you bascially have 2 options. Get the wine bottled fast or bulk age for several months. I am working on a newsletter article that will be used in March to discuss this fully. If I get it ready sooner, I will post it on the forum.</LI>
    <LI>I disagree with filtering. To me, it is a personal choice. If your wine is clear and you like it, then don't spend the money for a filter. In addition, if you bulk age, filtering may not be necessary. I made over 100 batches before I ever filtered.</LI>
    <LI>I am trying to get clarification from Mosti on this subject. I have a guess, but I want to hear what Mosti says first. This too is going to be a topic in the next newsletter. There is a good change there will be 3 featured articles next month. Just about the time you think you know what you are doing, you find out how little you actually know!</LI>

Latest posts

Back