Mosti Mondiale Meglioli - Amarone Mondiale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo

Reaction score
I started my 'Amarone Mondiale with red raisins' kit over the weekend. I almost lost it all. I bought a new bucket and the spigot was leaking. I had to transfer it back to the bag and start over.

It was leaking from the spigot, or where the gasket is? Gasket goes on the inside.

He Pablo... I have mine form last year in the bottle and will be a year old in April... I plan on giving it a try with the masters edition and all juice that I made at the same time for a test... on May 17, 2010. I can't wait...

Darryl said:
He Pablo... I have mine form last year in the bottle and will be a year old in April... I plan on giving it a try with the masters edition and all juice that I made at the same time for a test... on May 17, 2010. I can't wait...

Me either!

Darryl said:
What is the occasion on the 17th, Darryl? I notice it is the day after your BD, hmm...

Looks like I tightened the spigot too much. The gasket on the outside bulged out a bit. I removed it and assembled it again. One gasket on the inside, one gasket on the outside like always. It's holding. Time to add the raisins.

Yep, its a fine line on that gasket. Too tight it leaks, too loose, it leaks. Lift up on the assembly when racking, it can leak.....

Always check for leaks when you rinse and sanitize your primary just prior to pouring your $$$$ bag-o-grape-juice in!

And make sure the spigot is closed!

Closing the spigot - that's an important lesson to learn. Forget it one time, and you won't again. Not that I know anything about that...

When I installed the spigot, I put a ring of silicon caulk around the outside of the hole, then put the spigot with washer in place. Haven't had any leaks -- although that's no cure for leave the spigot open.

v1rotate said:
Darryl said:
What is the occasion on the 17th, Darryl? I notice it is the day after your BD, hmm...

V1... The 17th is my BD!!!!

I ended up cutting the raisins by hand. We tried a food processor and what I call a "Whopper Chopper" thingy. They just didn't work out correctly. I cut each one in half and the larger ones got cut a few more times. It was 30-45 minutes of work. Then we added them to the bucket. Almost had a wine volcano out of the bucket. Glad it was not the carboy. The yeasts are "going to town" on it. It's bubbling like crazy.

Back