Quantcast

mega foam

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

7munkee

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of Pineapple wine going. I followed a recipe form EC Kraus. About a day after I added the yeast, my must started to foam BADLY. I know you are supposed to expect some foaming, but it has been foaming out of the carboy for 2 days straight now. I have lost about a gallon of volume from it with no signs of slowing.

Is this normal???

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
You just gave the reason for NEVER fermenting in a carboy. Some yeasts do produce a lot of foam so depending on the yeast you are using it may be completely normal Some combinations and conditions just produce more foam than others. Safest thing is to ferment in bucket and make sure that you have at least 4-6 inches from the top of the wine to the lip of the bucket BEFORE you pitch the yeast. Cover the bucket with a cloth NOT a lid and if you tie the lid down securely the cloth may get wet but is should contain the foam IF you leave enough space between the surface of the wine and the lip of the bucket.

Just make this clear if you have 6.5 gallon bucket and you have 5 gallons of wine in there you have a remaining space for another 1.5 gallons of liquid. If you have a 6 gallon carboy not only do you have 1/3 less volume, you have choked down the opening for gases to escape as the foam level rises. Just not near enough surface area in a carboy plus you have an airlock in the way of the gas trying to escape.

Last edited:

7munkee

Junior
Reaction score
No airlock. I used pineapple juice though, so I assumed I would just ferment in the carboy and they rack into another carboy.

I have not used an airlock, just the open top. I had a cloth over it but the cloth became soaking wet and I removed it. Was worried about bacteria.

Its funny, because I have made apple and grape the exact same way without the excessive foaming. Those were just me winging it but this is the first time I followed a recipe.

Lesson learned. Thank you.

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
i use food grade 14 gal barrels and brute trash cans, on the bottom you'll see the letters showing that brute trash cans are food grade, home depot is a decent place th find them the lid comes with or at least they did, and,, I'd get the round Dollie bottom , allowing you to move it around if need be, good luck
Dawg

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
some must/ juices have high particulate (example 2020 choke cherry and Dole canned pineapple juice) and combined with yeast cells will trap the gas creating your observed foam. Industry uses a process called DAF (dissolved air flotation) as a tool for removing particulates so for choke cherry it was every day scoop foam/ solid matter out.
Its funny, because I have made apple and grape the exact same way without the excessive foaming. Those were just me winging it but this is the first time I followed a recipe.
as @Scooter68 said use an open bucket