WineXpert Medicinal smell and taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-Mike

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I wait for my first batch, a friend of mine shared several bottles. He gave me a 2004 Chilean Cab. Sauv. kit that tasted pretty good. However, he also gave me a 2005 Chilean Merlot kit that tasted kind of like vinegar or medicine. Both wines smelled a bit medicinal.
I don't know what words to use to describe this taste and smell, but they weren't good. My wine which is a week from bottleing, also has a bit of this medicinal smell. My question is; is this pretty normal with kits wines? Or, is there something I can do before bottleing to address this?

Appreciate any comments.

Me again,

Forgot to mention, the kit I have started is a Wine Expert-Selection Original Series-Cab. Sauv.. Has anyone else made this kit? Any comments?

Can you describe the smell? Is it "sherry-like"? Is it "alcoholly"? Could it be "yeasty"?

Francie

The smell is a chemical type. More likepaint thinner than good wine. I'm hoping it's just the age of the wine and it will get better over time. What struck me was the same distinct smell and taste in my friends kit wines.
Someone else on this forum had written that a winestaste will improve sooner that the smell. I'm hopeful. Mainly, I was just looking to get feedback on whether this sounds normal or not. And if not, is there any advice.

HI MN-Mike and welcome....first I would not be in too big of a hurry to bottle this wine....you said a week away from bottling , I'm guessing you have stabized and stirred your wine???? You still may have CO2 in your wine and this will cause some strange smells...Or what do you use to clean and sanitize your wine making equitment?? And there are other things it could be...I'm just making some guesses..

You might have a problem with ethyl acetate. Read down the page at the following link for an explanation of problems and their remedies.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp

Fingernail Polish Remover Smell: The wine is contaminated with ethyl acetate. There are three ways a wine can become thus contaminated. (1) Ethyl alcohol and oxygen can interact to create acetaldehyde, which can react with oxygen to create acetic acid (vinegar), which in turn can react with ethyl alcohol to create ethyl acetate. This pathway can be easily shut down by preventing oxygen exposure with the wine. Since this is impossible, one can at least minimize it to what is absolutely necessary (racking, stirring, testing, bottling). This can be done by topping up adequately, using an inert gas (such as argon -- or even CO2) to sparge the new carboy of oxygen when racking, leaving the bung on the carboy except when absolutely necessary to break the seal, and keeping sulfur dioxide levels sufficiently high that no vacant molecular interstices exist for oxygen to populate. (2) Bacterial contamination of the wine (by acetobacter) can allow the creation of acetic acid, which then combines with ethyl alcohol in the wine to form ethyl acetate. The key to prevention, again, is maintaining an aseptic level of sulfur dioxide to preclude contamination and/or prevent contamination the same way oxygen exposure is prevented. (3) Finally, ethyl acetate contamination can be created by yeast under stress as well as by many bacteria besides acetobacter. In the first instance, maintaining an optimal temperature for the yeast strain employed, using a good mineral water in the must (if water is even used), yeast nutrient for non-grape wines, and a nitrogen source (Yeastex-61 or some other specialized nutrient) for yeast strains requiring ample nitrogen (see Strains of Wine Yeast) will eliminate yeast stress. In the second instance, if you follow the procedures for preventing acetobacter contamination, you will prevent the others as well.

In many cases of ethyl acetate contamination, running a small aquarium pump through an airstone "blows" ethyl acetate away in just a few days. Of course, the wine usually oxidizes during this treatment but can be consumed quickly or converted into a fortified wine in which oxidation is a requirement (such as Sherry or Madeira-type wines). In more severe cases, the ethyl acetate will be blown off only to reveal excessive acetic acid. When this occurs, the wine cannot be saved.

or

Medicinal Taste: The wine has a medicinal taste, caused by too little acid in the must during fermentation. This occasionally occurs when an ingredient normally containing sufficient acid just happens to be acid deficient. This condition cannot be corrected. All you can do is make a note to test for acid next time you use that recipe.

I hope I didn't worry you with the last post too much. It is probably alright. Make sure you de-gas it well and that should help a lot. I did have one Merlot I made that had kind of the smell you talk of, and after de-gassing well and six months of aging, it turned out pretty good. I just wanted to link you up with Jack's great resources for identifyong and fixing all kinds of wine maladies. Good luck.
smiley4.gif

Making wine from good quality kitsand followingtried and truetechniques should not result in any of the issues noted above by appleman and he said aging the wine and proper decanting before drinking will result in quality wine.

I made a spagnols 6 week red wine kit shariz (it came in a pail/bolerio) ...that to my taste buds had a medicinal taste.... The longer I keeped it the better it tasted.... and the medicinal taste disappeared after 6 months. It didn't seem to have a medicinal smell tho at any time.
JC

If you follow the manufacturer's instructions, clean AND sanitize everything that touches your wine and you properly de-gas, your chances of making a bad kit wine are about 1 in a 1,000. With that being said, the most common problem I encounter with my customers is CO2 in the wine from not stirring enough. It seems that some people are afraid of over stirring and, as a result, do not stir enough. This will result in off-smells. The way to test this is to pour several ounces in a glass and swirl it around andlet it sit for 30 minutes. This will allow the CO2 to escape. Then smell your wine. If it still has an off-smell, it is one of 2 things. It is either the alcohol or the wine does have an off smell due to bacterial spoilage.

The smell of alcohol is significantly more noticable in a young wine as it has not had enough time to meld with the wine. In addition, some people just notice the alcohol smell more than others.

Whatever the case, time and patience will result in a very pleasant wine and you should not be too quick to judge the wine. All kit wines will improve with age and the more expensive kits can take longer to mature. My advice to continue to taste and smell your wines at each step. Over time your pallet will improve and you will be able to better judge wines at earlier stages. When I started making wine, about all I could tell you was whether it was red or wine. Now, I am not a connoseur, but I can detect a lot more flavors and aromas than I could 5 years ago.

Do the glass test and tell us what you discover.

Thanks to all. I might be way ahead of myself, but appreciate everyones comments. I de-gassed last weekend after clarifying. I used a power drill attachment. I'm hoping that helps, but time will tell.

How does everyone handle waiting so long before enjoying your work! I'm assuming this won't really be very good for about a year............

Patience Grasshopper, Patience- but in the mean time choose a fast maturing wine so you can get to enjoy some fruits of your work sooner. The Island Mist kits mature about the fastest and there are some pretty good ones available. The Wildberry Shiraz is pretty good as soon as bottled, but improves a lot with some age. After a year in the bottle, it is really good, but probably won't last that long unless you misplace some for a while.

Good luck with your current kit and get another one started to enyoy sooner.

Really funny.....I just came on this board to post the exact same question!! I've got three red kits I just bottled[WE Selection Italian Sangiovese, Barbaresco, and Pinot Noir] which range from6 months to 5months old, and I've noticed the same sort of hard to describe medicinalnote in each of them. It's not strong or overpowering, but it's definitely there. I was hoping it's just a sign of a wine which needs more aging. Each of themwas described as minimum aging from 3-6 months, but at almost six months they aren't really pleasant drinking yet, so I won't be tempted to drink them too young.
I was hoping to servesome tohouse guests for Christmas, but that won't be happening.
I'm certain I followed directions and definitely stirred vigorously[whipped, actually] for degassing. Edited by: rexmor

Hi all,

I expected this to be a common question. Its' been really helpful to hear peoples comments. George's comments above describing the smell as that of alcohol seemed too simplistic at first. However, themore I think about it, in my case the smell that I termed as medicinal, may also be termed an alcohol smell and taste. Again, I also encountered this same smell/taste in my friends kits, so it must be common enough. Hopefully just aging will mellow it out.

I would like to hear from others who could describe the smell/taste of early kits. Does anyone get a nice, smooth, mellow, taste early on?

Rest assured about the bad taste. I often won't even taste a wine when it's still in it's infant stage.
smiley11.gif
Things that taste terrible now, can and probably will, turn into something stupendous. Think of the story of The Ugly Duckling. If you really need something to drink right now, go buy some wine. Really, it's okay to do that! Just call it Educational Tools.
smiley2.gif
Get a journal, make notes. Drink your friends' wines and make notes about them.

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the great advice. I was really worried that something was wrong based upon the smell and taste of my early wine. I tried George's glass test(pour a glass, swirl it around pretty good, and wait a half hour) and that proved to be very telling.

The initial smell was quite medicinal or alcohol like, but after a half hour, it mellowed and tasted pretty good. It's only 4 weeks old right now, so I'm hopeful that after 6 months it will be worthwhile.

I really have enjoyed my new hobby and I haven't even reaped any rewards yet.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone.

For reds you should also try decanting and waiting an hour anyway to allow the bouquet to develop.

That's one theory. The other is to lie on your back, tilt the bottle and let it pour quicky into you mouth, swallowing as quickly as you can.
smiley17.gif

Latest posts

Back