Measurements

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
The other day I was preparing to blend several different kinds of wine that I have to see which ones I think would be good. A few bordeaux's etc.(Probably all). I wasn't sure if I should measure them in ounces or by percentage.

I started out measuring ounces and marking on a label placed on the side of one of my gallon carboys. The largest amount was 64 ounces so I started there and marked off in increments of 8 ounces.

Then I realized something that I should have already known. That one gallon of liquid in our carboys falls way short of where I fill my wine to. (Just slightly under the bung). This would allow for too much head space and I would have to bottle right away.

I then did a comparison of ounces to ml and waaa-lah. Five 750 ml bottles also falls short of where I fill my carboys to and that this level is higher than 1 gallon based upon ounces. I believe there are 5 more ounces with five ml bottles than 128 ounces.

All in all this is why when I bottle a five gallon carboy I get 25 1/2 bottles of wine.

This basically won't effect most of you but as I prepare to do my champagne it occured to me when a recipe calls for measurements for a gallon are they really referring to a gallon or 3,750ml (five 750ml bottles). With champagne and sugar measurement this could be a problem. With my blends it's not that great a deal and I will blend based upon a percentage.

Just FYI for those few that are as anal as myself.

well 750 ML = 25+ oz. So that 5 bottles should come to 128oz = 1 gallon. Maybe the jug you are measuring is larger than you think.

Many of my carboys are different. That can be good in when racking you will have less headspace with the smaller one, or bad if visa versa.

I measured reasonably close and still found that one gallon is different than 5-750ml bottles and more liquid is needed to top off. At least we have that extra for sampling.

Many of my carboys are different. That can be good in when racking you will have less headspace with the smaller one, or bad if visa versa.

I measured reasonably close and still found that one gallon is different than 5-750ml bottles and more liquid is needed to top off. At least we have that extra for sampling.

One gallon = 3,785.4 ml. 5 x 750 = 3,750.

That leaves 35.4ml for final racking & sampling.

Latest posts

Back