Mead not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
I made a batch of Texas Twang. It is mead with Jalapeños and Cucumber. Primary fermentation was done so I racked the mead on top of fresh cucumber and Jalapeños, let it sit a week then filtered it through a 1 micron filter. It has a haze that does not appear to be going away. Could it be a pectin haze? If so would a little pectin enzyme remove it?

1.jpg

Maybe it will work. It won't hurt anything if you put pectic enzyme in. It will work either before or after fermentation. Good luck with it, Arne.

Mead takes a good while to clear, Because Co2 suspends particles and mead is not degassed like wine sometimes is. give it time, and get rid of all that head space. O2 is meads enemy.

When did you start this mead?

From what I understand, they can take quite a while to clear out.

Unless you are wanting to bottle it right now, I wouldn't be all that concerned over it.

If you don't mind sharing, what was the recipe/your process?

I attempted an herbal cucumber wine last year that was simply horrifying. I'm fairly certain I couldn't have given it to the homeless guys downtown that I know for a fact get regularly drunk on a homemade mixture of listerine and rubbing alcohol. It was that disgusting.

Pectic Enzyme is a good place to start. Don't add it within about a week of Kmeta tho. Kmeta inactives it. In an open bucket during primary it only takes about 12 hrs for kmeta to offgas, but in a closed airlocked carboy it takes a lot longer.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back