mead next step

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall

Reaction score
I've got gallon of mead that fermented vigorously for three weeks and now has stopped bubbling. I know my next step is to measure the gravity to see if it's complete. I'd like to know my next step before hand in the event the fermentation is stuck so I can have everything ready and do it all at once, since I have very little opportunity to work with it.

There are quite a few threads on what to do with a stuck fermentation.

However, a few of your options would are..

1) If the mead is too sweet you could make another batch of mead and ferment it dry.. then blend the two meads.

2) you could fortify the mead and create a "port"

3) You could try and enjoy your sweet mead.

4) You could try and restart the mead. Ie add nutrients oxygenate the must and try pitching in a strong yeast starter of something like ec1118 or something of the likes. Warm the must, stir often and dont forget to pray to the wine gods.

All of these options have been discussed on this forum before and it would be beneficial to do some more reading on these options.

I've got gallon of mead that fermented vigorously for three weeks and now has stopped bubbling. I know my next step is to measure the gravity to see if it's complete. I'd like to know my next step before hand in the event the fermentation is stuck so I can have everything ready and do it all at once, since I have very little opportunity to work with it.
I will bet it is finished fermenting . Gallon batches go faster the 5 and 6 do.

Back