mead newbie/need advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmyers

wine maker in progress
Reaction score
I was so excited when I got some free honey that I started 6 gallons of various meads. problem is in my haste I didn't keep any honey back to sweeten when the time comes. just stabilized all 6 batches. all are clearing nicely. so can I back sweeten with sugar or am I going to have to bye some more honey

What did you make?

You can buy more honey; probably one of the better routes
You can use white sugar; meh

.. You can buy more fruit? Put fruit in a small container with some k-meta, pectic enzyme 12 hrs later; let the pectic work and pour this into the wine to sweeten..

I made
1 gl of straight mead
2 gl of mead with white grape juice
2 gl of mead with rasberries
1 gl of mead with orange/pinapple juice

Costco has real good honey at a great price. Go with the honey is you can afford it. If not use cane sugar.

I've made several large batches of a 4 Berry Melomel, I've tried it both ways, when using Honey to back sweeten, you need to age it longer, but it produces a mead with more body and mouthfeel, I always seem to be able to drink the Melomel back sweetened with sugar a bit sooner. The real question would be how much honey did you use per gallon? I met a mead purist that considered my Melomel inferior because I used less than 3.5 lbs per gallon and didn't stick with a mead that was fermented to dry and left that way.....okkkkk....the guy was a mead nut case...lol

Latest posts

Back