mayhaw/hawthorne wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA-BOY

Reaction score
On day 60 my sg is .990, It tastes a little dry and i would like to sweeten it up a little. This is a 3 gallon batch and is very clear, looks to be my best yet. The starting sg was 1.090. What is my aprox. abv. and When I add some sugar mixture to it, will it start to referment??? So how much sugar/h2o mixture do I add. I do not want to make it too sweet but just a little. Thanks la-boy

You are right at 13% abv and bone dry. Have you stabilized it by adding K-Meta and Sorbate? If not, you ned to do this before back sweetning. If you have already stabilized then make you a simple syrup using one cup water with 2 cups sugar dissolved in it. Make sure the sugar is well dissolved. I would add about 1/4 of this to the wine. Stir it in gently, let it set a couple of days and then taste it. Keep adjusting like this until you gey it like you want it. Keep your simple syrup in the fridge in between testing and it will keep fine.

What is a mayhaw????
smiley5.gif

Waldo, how much k-meta and sorbate do I put in it to stablize it. Its right at 3 gallons. Thanks for the help. I do not want to mess this batch up as I have quite a few people that want some of this. la-boy

A mayhaw is a southern native plant along the coast from Texas to Florida. The plant is a member of the Crataegus family, and is used primarily to make a popular and tasty jelly.

If you are using campden tabs then one tablet per gallon, if using powder then 1/8th teaspoon of K-meta will suffice. On the Sorbate, use whatever the instructions on the band you are using recommends. Typically it is about 1/2 tsp pr gallon

Latest posts

Back