Maybe a stuck fermentation??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrtDoctor

Reaction score
I'm doing the Brewer's Best Indian Pale Ale. Followed instructions to a T. Cooled it too much so after stirring I left it set 24 hr. to come up to temperature. Pitched the yeast and stirred it in as directed. Actually, this was the first time I've ever stirred in yeast, usually I put in on the top.

After 24 hours there seemed to be some pressure but no bubbles in the air lock. 24 hours later the room got up to 77 degrees. Still some pressure as I use the standard food grade bucket and sealed lid. If I pressed on the lid it would bubble but no active bubbling. No change for 4 days.

Hydrometer reading is at 1.02. Started at about 1.45. It is supposed to get to 1.012 at least to indicate it's finished. Perhaps I missed the bubbling or perhaps it was so slow I never saw active bubbling? Yesterday I moved it to a cooler part of the basement and the temp is now 70. Still the same, seemingly some weak pressure but no foam and it doesn't look very active, if active at all.

Any ideas?

DrtDoctor

Do you have a lid with a grommet in it where you put the airlock in?
These have a tendency to leak. My 1st 2 primaries would not even build
pressure and I thought I did something wrong until I checked the SG and
discovered it was doing fine. I then took out the grommet and drilled
it out for a #10 bung and now buy lids with no hole and drill them allk
out like that. Works much better, I can get my wine theif in their and
my mix-stir without removing the lid.

Could be the lid. I put another lid on it last evening. There is a little pressure there today (still not bubbling) but the fact that there is pressure indicates something is going on. The SG still isn't down where it should be and it's been about six days. I'll just keep an eye on the SG and see what happens.

DrtDoctor

Latest posts

Back