May have a problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Been out of town for a week, my muscadine wine has bottomed out on the SpGr, she sinks to the bottom. I added 4 campden tablets and a teaspoon of sorbate and gently stired it. Then I racked it into 4 one gallon jugs, after racking I found a white ball about the size of a marble, it was soft and squashy, could this be my campden and or sorbate? If it was, or if we are not sure what it was, can I add the campden and sorbate again, can you add too much campden and or sorbate?--------------Thanks

Semper Fi

Yes you can add too much - however too much campden can be dissipated over time - but sorbate won't. Sorbate is a one time addition - i would not add anymore of that.

Did you crush up the tablets good? This is why i use the powder form - it is easier to mix up. The tablets contain glue to hold them together and if not mixed well - you could end up with solid fragments.

lCrushed em good and mixed Campden and Sorbate in a little wine, poured it in carboy and stired.

I would pour it all back into the one container, stir the ball until it dissolves and dissapears into the whole and then put back into the jugs. That way you have an even amount in all of them.

Latest posts

Back