Marathon batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
Wanted to get some advice & theory's on my marathon batch.

My aunt found a bunch of cranberry juice / some cocktail very cheap. so we threw it in a bucket & made a batch of wine. at the end, I backsweetened with some old orchard apple cranberry & raspberry cranberry concentrate & it was a great light sweet wine. Made two 6 gallon batches that way over the last two years.

The problem batch. The third..

Same process as the other two. Started it last September. as of April 23, it was down to a sg of 1.020 from 1.090. Its clear, still small bubbles coming to the top as it's been doing all year. I've racked 4 times. no sediment now. haven't checked the SG since april when it was 1.020. I tasted it in April & it tasted very good. no issues..

Why is it taking a this long? any thoughts on fusel oils?

Again, same storage, raw materials, process as the other two batches.

I know I've left out some detail - just gave the cliff notes, if someone needs more to help troubleshoot let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

Wanted to get some advice & theory's on my marathon batch.

My aunt found a bunch of cranberry juice / some cocktail very cheap. so we threw it in a bucket & made a batch of wine. at the end, I backsweetened with some old orchard apple cranberry & raspberry cranberry concentrate & it was a great light sweet wine. Made two 6 gallon batches that way over the last two years.

The problem batch. The third..

Same process as the other two. Started it last September. as of April 23, it was down to a sg of 1.020 from 1.090. Its clear, still small bubbles coming to the top as it's been doing all year. I've racked 4 times. no sediment now. haven't checked the SG since april when it was 1.020. I tasted it in April & it tasted very good. no issues..

Why is it taking a this long? any thoughts on fusel oils?

Again, same storage, raw materials, process as the other two batches.

I know I've left out some detail - just gave the cliff notes, if someone needs more to help troubleshoot let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

You make no mention on yeast. Also, I would ask what is the temperature of the must?

This can happen, especially if you are trying to go with a "natural fermentation" If the temp is 60 to low 70's, I would warm it up a bit.

Back