maraschino cherries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just been blessed with a 4 1/2 pound jar of the above cherries. With stems. I can only make so many Brandy Manhattens and so much cherry ice cream. I need any advice from the experts on just what I should do with this windfall.

All help will be appreciated.

I dont have a recipe for you on this but maybe get another jar for an f-pac. Is there any sorbate or benzoate in the ingredients?

They have sorbate and sodium benzoate. plus sulfur dioxide. I guess the sorbate wouldn't be a problem since it is also added to the lemon juice used for Skeeter Pee.
And all the usual sugars. The jar looks real pretty as is. Maybe I should remove the label and use the thing for a holiday centerpiece!
smiley36.gif

All of those ingredients will make fermentation a problem. I dont think I would bother trying to ferment it all but if you do so youd better use a slurry like in the skeeter pee or make s great starter and slowly introduce this into it a little at a time to get the yeast acclimated to it. Keep the temp up to keep it as troublesome as possible.

i would stick with using it as an f-pak the sorbate and sulfur will not let fermentation go very easily as Wade said. ive herd rumors that benzoic acid was a fermentation killer as well. you'll have to ask one of the pro's

Yep, benzoate is as bad or worse then sorbate and this one has the triple threat. If you do go for it make a very serious starter.

Latest posts

Back