Maple Syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can tell a sugar maple from a red maple by the leaf, the sugar maple spaces between the leaves are smooth like the webs between your fingers, all other maples (reds, silvers) are jagged and sharp.

Tomorrow is GO time for me to tap tree's, I checked out my gas drill last night, haven't used it in 3 years, put in some fresh gas and it started right up, it's a RYOBI and I bought it new about 10 years ago, only use it once a year to drill 300 holes in one or two days, have never had a bit of trouble with it. Tonight I have to boil my taps to sterilize them, everything must be real clean for this operation too.

I am sure they won't feel a thang.
smiley2.gif

I am pretty sure a rock maple and a sugar maple are 2 different trees, maybe a rock maple is a subspecies of the sugar maple. We have all kinds of maples here, also, just not as many sugar maples.

Oh, we have a lot of sugar maples here. We even have a "Maple Syrup Queen"

Gotta love the midwest.

Does she get syrup poured all over her during the crowning? Now that would be good.

Hehehe, you're mind is always in the gutter.

No, she sits on the back of the convertible and waves in sub-zero weather during the Maple-Syrup Festival.

Rock maple are sugar maple are the same, red maple we don't tap less sugar in the sap. I'm glad to be back at work, tapped 6 more today now have 230 buckets hanging. I collected 190 gallons last night and was spent when I came out of the woods with the last of it. I have to get up at noon tomorrow and collect, the weather is perfect for sap right now, sunny and 40's with 25 at night. "it don't get no better than this"

Syrup influences people? Man, if only organized crime knew that. It would give a new meaning to 'sweet deal'.

Glenvall, there's nothing like real maple syrup. If you had ever tasted it, you would know. It's fantastic.

country wine will get his chance to taste some, for those of you keeping count, 210 gallons more sap today, glad to be back at work I need the rest, slept 4 hours today and had to go collect.

If I had ever tasted it? Come on now girl! I have been to a few goat-ropings and 2 or 3 county fairs in my time. I have tasted pure, real, unadulterated, no sugar or preservatives added, 100% no bull maple syrup plenty of times. Thanks, Stinkie.

Did I not mention we have sugar maples here?

smiley16.gif

Latest posts

Back