Malolactic Fermentation - When is too late

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is sulfite your issue? I'm not sure about VP41 but you may want to look into christen Hansen 16 or some of the others. They have them at presage isle and according the graphs give good quick results.

Yes, I believe it is a
sulfite issue. I originally had the CH16 and I believe the VP41 is a stronger strain based on what I've read. Pitched it this am. Will check around Presidents Day since it will be 6 weeks out.

(in Yoda voice): The Malic is strong in you, young wine. :D

Lol....

I repitched a vp41 on December 26. I decided to run a test yesterday. Here are the results which dont look real promising...I'll check again on President's Day.

1421498068972.jpg

I tasted all the wines yesterday. All taste very good and all seem to have a smoother mouthfeel than prior to attempting mlf. All have a brew belt on and wine temps are 68-72.

I need to recheck those. I think if there is no sign of change next month, I'm going to give up on this barch for mlf. Spring Chilean is right around the corner.

you might think about adding a little optimalo nutirent / stirring up the lees .

works well for slow mlf.

try that be fore repitching

with a strong strain like 41 , its usually a nutrient issue not a viability or acclimatisation issue even with difficult vareitals like merlot (which has a resistance to enzymatic breakdown) .

Last edited:
you might think about adding a little optimalo nutirent / stirring up the lees .

works well for slow mlf.

try that be fore repitching

with a strong strain like 41 , its usually a nutrient issue not a viability or acclimatisation issue even with difficult vareitals like merlot (which has a resistance to enzymatic breakdown) .

Thanks for the suggestion. I did add a optimalo this am and gave everything a stir. I'm hoping this takes off. Will give it a stir when I return on Tuesday eve.

Looking at your chromatography results , you have lactic acid present in your samples , that indicates mlf is occurring as lactic isn't there without mlf .

So it's happening , but the so2 you added is one of the factors slowing down progress .

Another is you splash racked it to get your free so2 down , this big uptake of o2 is also an impairment to mlf completion . The bacteria are anaerobic and o2 impaired , so will stall out but recover eventually .

You've added optimalo , at the top of the reccomended range I hope .
If not add more , you can't od a wine on it .

Now , just gently so you don't introduce anymore air than you have to stir any fine lees and optimalo into suspension once a week and keep it in the right temperature range and it should finish , it just might take until April , so what if it does ? Your so2 is also impairing spoilage bugs .

You shot your runner in one leg , he's not going to win a sprint , but should hobble over the finish line eventually . Have you ever seen the footage of the last person to cross the line at the end of the boston marathon ?

Last edited:
Looking at your chromatography results , you have lactic acid present in your samples , that indicates mlf is occurring as lactic isn't there without mlf .

So it's happening , but the so2 you added is one of the factors slowing down progress .

Another is you splash racked it to get your free so2 down , this big uptake of o2 is also an impairment to mlf completion . The bacteria are anaerobic and o2 impaired , so will stall out but recover eventually .

You've added optimalo , at the top of the reccomended range I hope .
If not add more , you can't od a wine on it .

Now , just gently so you don't introduce anymore air than you have to stir any fine lees and optimalo into suspension once a week and keep it in the right temperature range and it should finish , it just might take until April , so what if it does ? Your so2 is also impairing spoilage bugs .

You shot your runner in one leg , he's not going to win a sprint , but should hobble over the finish line eventually . Have you ever seen the footage of the last person to cross the line at the end of the boston marathon ?

I took you advice and added another dose of nutrients, will also slowly stir once a week. Going to reperform the test near the end of February. I will post results then.

Ran another test over the weekend. Pulled the paper from the solution yesterday. I'll post a pic when I get home. It wasn't dry enough to show any real results yesterday afternoon.

It's been 11 hours! Show us!

I pulled the test from the drying clips. I didn't get to take a picture yesterday. I'll get one this afternoon. I can tell you there is no discernable difference in this test compared to the others. It's either a really slow MLF due to temps (I do have a brew belt on all and they are staying 68-70) or this just isn't going to happen. Like I said, I'll take pics again of all the tests as I have them all so far and someone can give me their opinions. I may re-test the SO2 levels on Sunday if I get a chance.

Not sure of TA levels but PH was in line with what was needed for MLF strains. I need to check FSO2 and TSO2 this Sunday if I have a chance.

Its been 6 weeks since I ran the last test. There is positive pressure in the air locks. I decided to run another test this morning. I'll pull the paper around dinner time and then check it again tomorrow after work.

After a quick look this am at the paper, there appears to be no discernable difference in the current test compare to the prior. At this point I may just rack off any sediment that has dropped, hit with some kmeta and then bottle in the next few months.

Latest posts

Back